cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voltage Drop Across New Breakaway Switch

RamTX
Explorer
Explorer
I recently replaced my existing breakaway switch with a new one manufactured by Hopkins. In testing it, I could not hear the brakes actuate when the switch was energized. I checked my voltage for the on-board rv battery and measured the voltage as 12.48v. I then measured across the switch and measured the voltage as 10.63v. The wires on the Hopkins switch are 18 gauge, but they are short wires. Anyone have any experience with voltage drops and actuating brakes on the trailer thru the breakaway witch? Thanks.
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD ShortBed Quad Cab
08 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5FBHS
Line X
Superglide Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
3 REPLIES 3

jonrjen
Explorer
Explorer
Why did you replace the break away switch with a replacement? Was there an issue with the original? Did you check the voltage reading on it before replacing it?

Did you wire the new switch directly into the junction box and tie it into the wire harness or cut the old wire leads and tap into the old wire harness of the original break away switch?

Have you check for a voltage reading at the wires in the junction box located at the hitch?
2013 Wildcat 353LS (on of the few out there)
2013 Ford SHO
2013 F350 FX4 CC PSD
Good Sam Roadside Assistance (it's a good thing to have):B

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Allworth wrote:
You might try measuring from the input wire of the switch to a chassis ground. You should get battery voltage.

Then (with the pin in place) measure output wire of the switch to ground and it should be zero.

Pull the pin and output wire to ground should be same as battery voltage. i.e. there should be NO internal loss in the switch. If there is, the switch is defective.

A

This^^^^^^

The breakaway switch should pass FULL battery voltage.
DOT requirement is emergency brake system supply FULL battery voltage for 15 minutes
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might try measuring from the input wire of the switch to a chassis ground. You should get battery voltage.

Then (with the pin in place) measure output wire of the switch to ground and it should be zero.

Pull the pin and output wire to ground should be same as battery voltage. i.e. there should be NO internal loss in the switch. If there is, the switch is defective.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"