cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight of toy hauler

LRFitch
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Ford F250 crew cab short bed pickup with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. Looking for a 26-30' toy hauler to use as travel trailer and haul several large RC airplanes (total weight about 250#). Most haulers we've seen have a GVWR of 13,000lbs, and a tongue weight of about 1400 pounds. What safety and legal concerns do we face relative to weight limits. Sorry if this sounds sketchy, but I'm a bit concerned about being across the country, and have my rig impounded, and me in jail.
I'll get the truck weighed today, as a start?
18 REPLIES 18

Y-Guy
LRFitch I'm not aware of much attention to this in OR or WA, but a few years ago CA started cracking down on this. Some of the Toy Hauler guys in CA can chime in, but they also have difference licensing requirements.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
You won't be within your tow ratings with those size haulers, if that is what concerns you.

I had a 2004 FS3000 Weekend Warrior. Triple axle, 30' box, 34' total.
My tongue weight with full water and no toys in the back was 1700lbs.
Tongue weight with no water and no toys was 1400lbs.

Total trailer weight with full water and 4 quads was 12,960lbs.

The receiver on my F250 was not rated high enough for that tongue weight, even with a WD hitch.
I was over the GVWR of my truck when hooked up and people in the truck.

Will the truck do it? All day long.
Will you be within the tow ratings of the truck? No.

I have been down this road.
Finally stepped up to a F350 dually and I don't have to worry about this stuff anymore.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably your biggest issue would be how much of the 250's payload would remain after adding the tongue weight of the toy hauler. Toy haulers typically are heavy on the tongue to accommodate for toys in the back of the toy hauler. If you go light you are not taking that much tongue weight off the tongue. Add to the tongue weight all the rest of the stuff you will have in the truck and people, dogs, etc and determine where you are with payload. A 250 with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds is certainly a heavy duty 250 or I think you might want to check your numbers. If your truck is a diesel the 13,000 pound toy hauler would not be an issue towing, if gas you might be getting to the limits depending on engine and axle ratio.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
To answer your question: No one is impounding RV's because they are overweight. As a recreational user, you don't have to go thru weigh stations and short of really bad gross negligence they will have no idea if you are over weight.

But looking at your post, I'm pretty sure you have your numbers mixed up.
- GVWR: The maximum weight of the individual unit (truck and trailer each have separate numbers)
- CGVWR: The maximum weight of truck and trailer combined.

There are a handful of other ratings that come into play also.

I can't say with certainty without the full details of your truck but most likely it would be fine and within the limits.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV