cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wet Bolt Upgrade

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to upgrade my suspension to the wet bolt system. I have a 2016 Montana High Country 375FL. I ordered the kit and did a online search on how to do it. This morning was a balmy 18 above , perfect . After blocking up the trailer and removing the tires I took out the first bolt. To my surprise , there was a bronze bushing installed so I didn't have to deal with installing those. 3 1/2 hours I was done, no major problems. Best $83 I spent in a long time.
10 REPLIES 10

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a wet bolt kit pretty much right out of the box, my unit already had morryde equalizer installed from the factory so I felt like that plus taller LT tires to help level it out would make for a good setup in the long term.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
2naEagle wrote:
Heavy duty wet bolts and shackles I think are a must have. Also do some research on rubber equalizers and this X-factor

This one comes with one x_factor SRE4000

If anyone considers an X Factor (or three) cross member, spend some time under your RV and make sure that there is no interference. On our 5er, the gas line runs right along the front and middle hangers while rear tank drain is in the way for the rear cross member. I was able to install the middle one but with a spacer to clear the 1/2 black iron propane line. I'll probably do a piping mod to directly bolt it in place but will have to access a pipe threader first. The other two - mods are still in the 'design' stage to fit them up. These are heavy cross members.

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
Just a caveat here. Even, IMHO, the bronze bushings wear out too soon. After about 15K miles, I pulled the suspension apart on our 343RL High Country for new 6K springs, replacing the partially flattened out and soggy 5.2K originals and adding disc brakes with 6K bearings. Surprise - the bushings were almost as bad as the original nylon were after 4K miles. Before you comment, yes, they were greased at the beginning of the seasons as well as before and during each lengthy trip. When rebuilding, I cross drilled the bolt grease hole (#43 drill bit) this time to better distribute the grease as it appeared that the wear was opposite the original grease exit hole. I had done this on a previous similarly weighing 5er with good results but had forgotten - senior moments happen all too often.

Durhamcutter
Explorer
Explorer
More Ride makes some of the best I have ever used , not only the bolts but the bars that attach the system together are 1/2 inch thick instead of 1/4 in thick, weren't any more expensive than the others. happy camping.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy duty wet bolts and shackles I think are a must have. Also do some research on rubber equalizers and this X-factor

This one comes with one x_factor SRE4000
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
Bought them from Tweetys.com

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is where I bought mine, sounds like bad99ram's were a little less.
http://www.easternmarine.com/dexter-heavy-duty-single-axle-suspension-kit-k71-358-00

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
bad99ram where did you buy them I am thinking of doing mine
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed. I just did that in March. For me, one thing has led to another...I am getting disc brake conversion done in a week. A little more than $83, but I feel it is needed for my rig.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL