cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to de-ice slide-outs

BDSUSA
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best way to de-ice slide-outs in below zero temps after freezing rain and/or snow?

We spend more time camping in freezing temps than we do in warm weather. We just upgraded our Arctic Fox travel trailer to an AF fifth wheel so we are new to the slide-out game.

I saw one tip about using the outdoor shower but I could almost guarantee that in -10 degree temps the water would freeze long before I ever get the slide-out retracted.

I have thought about using a quality windshield washer fluid that incorporates a de-icing chemical, as it is easy on paint and rubber parts. Dispersing the fluid, I would use a small hand pump pressurized sprayer like the type used on lawns and gardens.

I need a chemical or method that is not going to damage paint and seals.

Most bare-ground deicer fluids or granules have some type of chloride (salt) in them, which spells disaster for a slide-out. Aircraft de-icing fluid is cost prohibitive.
15 REPLIES 15

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Slide toppers might help prevent the build up of ice on the slide top it's self and help prevent damage to the slide seals. Ice on a slide topper could be broken up easily by using a wooden broom handle to push up on it. The remaining ice should brake away as the slide goes in.