cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel bearings When to repack

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Is repacking based on miles or time. I repacked them about a year ago and we have only traveled about 3000 miles this year. Just trying to give my back a break if possible.

Thanks

Ray
16 REPLIES 16

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M, we won't be leaving for our trip for 3 or 4 weeks. If the weather cools off I might tackle the project. If it stays warm then I will do them when we return. Hopefully all will be good.

Thanks

Ray

snipe
Explorer
Explorer
I just recently checked the bearings/brakes on my 2012 Sabre 5th wheel for the first time mainly because my break controller was giving errors of current overload on the trailer brakes. When I took the first drum off I discovered the issue and that was there was no retaining clip on the brake magnet and it was constantly rubbing on the drum and the magnet was in bad shape and one wire was broken. After repairing the issue I did the 3 other wheels and guess what the retaining clip was missing on those as well, there were signs of some ware on the magnets but not bad enough to replace at this time. I called a couple of trailer/RV shops to get replacement clips and they were in some ways saying that the clips are not really necessary but from my point of view the clip keeps the brake magnet just off the brake drum not to wear it down during travel IMHO. Just thought I would pass this on to all you fellow RV'ers.

Cheers.
2012 Sabre 31RETS
2017 FORD F250 Lariat Diesel

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
So what are we gonna do now Ray? :h

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
I want to say thank you to all for the replies. I really do appreciate the feedback.

Again thanks

Ray

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
alboy wrote:
Pack my own bearings every 3 yrs 20000 miles, lots of grease in the bearings, kind of a waste of time except there always seems to be worn out magnets, or wires frayed in the drums from the junk put on.

Personally, I had my fill of grease working on a farm, so let the local trailer shop do it. It's a whole lot faster and I know they'll do a better job than me, because they do it every **** day. ๐Ÿ™‚ All new bearings and seals, packed with grease and brake adjustment for about $250, of which about $130-140 was parts. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Pack my own bearings every 3 yrs 20000 miles, lots of grease in the bearings, kind of a waste of time except there always seems to be worn out magnets, or wires frayed in the drums from the junk put on.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
When was the last time any of us repacked the bearings in our tow vehicles? Aren't they the same?

No, they're not the same. I haven't had repackable bearings on a vehicle (besides trailers) since the 1980's. FWD and 4WD vehicles.

To the op, bearing maintence questions are posted here at least once a month and there are pages and pages of answers. Some good advice (even if you don't agree with it) some bad advice and some that can only be described as absurd.

Dexter recommends every year or 12000 miles. That's my schedule because it's a ridiculously easy and cheap insurance for a trouble free camping season. This migh be overkill and I guess if I had to pay someone to do the job I might extend it to 2 or 3 years.

BTW, most trailer brakes are not self adjusting, so this is a great opportunity for brake cleaning, inspection and adjusting.

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
When I purchased our Jayco Eagle 13 yrs. ago, I took it to Les Schwab Tire and asked them to check all the bearing and grease.

One would think that just out of the factory, critical issues such as this would not be an issue. I stood next to the tech at Les Schwab and observed how next to no grease was in the bearings.

I now have them done every three years unless I hear strange new sounds. This year was the bearing/grease year. Found a break pad extremely loose.

We put about 5K miles on fiver per year.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I waited about 45,000 miles and 8 years before doing them.
And then it was a total waste of time.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm in the every two year category.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The only bearing I repack annually were on my boat trailer and only because they were routinely submerged. On a travel trailer I wouldn't worry about them. When was the last time any of us repacked the bearings in our tow vehicles? Aren't they the same?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree with Bill, if you are confident with your previous repack, I'd go several years, 10,000 miles minimum, before repacking. You should check hub temps when on a trip, just using your hand, will tell you if you have a hot bearing.

Jerry

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig, I've been doing them for over 6 years. After our last trip I had some brake issues and traced it to the right rear. Bare wire in there and repacked that one because it was off but it looked just like when I had repacked them. At the beginning I had some issues but found out that I had the spindle nut too tight. After that they always look like I just repacked them.

Thanks
Ray

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jackandh2o wrote:
Is repacking based on miles or time. I repacked them about a year ago and we have only traveled about 3000 miles this year. Just trying to give my back a break if possible.

Thanks

Ray

Personally, I ran 10 years and about 10k miles before repacking. I'd hit my EZ-Lubes with a half-dozen shots of grease every year and would check for play at the same time. I had them re-done last year, just on general principle and the shop said I had no leaking grease and seals and bearings still looked good, with very little play. Had the brakes adjusted at the same time, too. YMMV...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member