cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the word on 5er + GN combo hitches these days?

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,
Dabbling with the idea of getting another truck and figured I'd let the hitch I have (Reese Signature 18k slider) go with the current truck. My thoughts:
- I would switch to a long bed and wouldn't need a slider anymore
- Would like to have the option for a GN ball should the need arise to pull a trailer
- Still want to have the fifth wheel hitch option too
- No rails in the bed ("flush fit" needed) for when I need to haul stuff and/or loading a TC in the future
- Easily removable? I use a lift to get my current hitch out of the bed but could always use something easier to get out. I'm sure without the slider I save a good amount of weight.

Last time I looked the B&W was on the short list. Truck might be a 2005-2007 F350 DRW.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/rvhitch/companion-5th-wheel-hitch

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube
36 REPLIES 36

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
crcr wrote:
With the Andersen, you're losing some of the easy slide the king pin into the hitch head hook up ability of a standard fifth wheel hitch.

Yes you have to lift the trailer a couple of extra inches to clear the ball BUT you also lose the possibility of high hitching and dropping the trailer on your truck bed like you can with a standard 5er hitch.

Do you still do a pull test with the Andersen?

No need to with a ball/coupler.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
N-Trouble wrote:
crcr wrote:
With the Andersen, you're losing some of the easy slide the king pin into the hitch head hook up ability of a standard fifth wheel hitch.

Yes you have to lift the trailer a couple of extra inches to clear the ball BUT you also lose the possibility of high hitching and dropping the trailer on your truck bed like you can with a standard 5er hitch.

Do you still do a pull test with the Andersen?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
TriumphGuy wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't care for it personally, but the Anderson hitch also is available. I have no real reason for not liking it, just doesn't look strong enough I guess.

That is something new - thank you.

It looks really interesting and simple:

http://www.andersenhitches.com/catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

Makes me wonder two things:
- Doesn't looks like there is anything other than the bolt pressure on the kingpin to keep the adapter from rotating.
- As it's not a 5er hitch there isn't the ability to dampen movement like inside the 5er hitch assembly. But I guess that could be addressed with another pin box if necessary

Anyone out there have one in use?

I have one and use it with a 35' trailer (max weight of 11,500 lbs). I have once seen the pyramid adapter rotate just slightly but I'm not sure why it did. The trailer rotates on the ball, so I don't know why the adapter would ever move.

Andersen did a test with the trail air pinbox and they said it didn't add any benefit. I asked them if they tried the tri-glide trail air and they said they did not test that version of it. They don't seem to think any additional is needed, but they do seem to indicate that you can add a pin box to the setup.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Looks can be deceiving... That is the strongest geometrical shape known to man.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't care for it personally, but the Anderson hitch also is available. I have no real reason for not liking it, just doesn't look strong enough I guess.

I don't care for the Andersen hitch...it looks whimpy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sturgeon-Phish wrote:
I think there is good reason why people who have the B&W turnover/Companion rave over them. I can't say I can remember anyone who had one say they did not like them
Jim

Your absolutly correct! And they are pretty affordable too!!

You can order the Companion and the Gooseneck online for around 1200.00. If you can install them yourself that is a bonus. I know people who paid 1200 plus for their fifth wheel hitch and rails!

You can be in business with a cheap hitch and rails for under $400 for the parts ordering online. Many many options for people today. I think it's great!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
I think there is good reason why people who have the B&W turnover/Companion rave over them. I can't say I can remember anyone who had one say they did not like them
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Personally I would stick with the B&W.

So, you're saying you like the B&W?

This is my shocked face!!!

:B

Yea you could say that! 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerem0621 wrote:
Cummins, you are right about the fillers. I think that andersen could add them and give the same benefit. Some andersen users have reported slight depressions in their beds mostly at the back of the hitch legs (closest to cab)

CORRECT AT HIGHER RV WEIGHTS

IIRC the older Companion didn't have them either.

THAT IS CORRECT

I do have a side question, Are those bed currogation fillers plastic or metal?

PLASTIC WITH ADHESIVE ON ONE SIDE FOR OLDER UNITS, NEWER ARE ATTACHED WITH BOLTS

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
crcr wrote:

Also the ability to haul a non Andersen equipped 5er.

Does not appear to be a easy way to "lock" the hitch to the RV.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Personally I would stick with the B&W.

So, you're saying you like the B&W?

This is my shocked face!!!

:B
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins, you are right about the fillers. I think that andersen could add them and give the same benefit. Some andersen users have reported slight depressions in their beds mostly at the back of the hitch legs (closest to cab)

IIRC the older Companion didn't have them either.

I do have a side question, Are those bed currogation fillers plastic or metal?

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

crcr
Explorer
Explorer

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
The Andersen is plenty strong rated at 24k lbs. There is a video on Utube where they put it under a hydraulic press and it didn't start to give way until 60k lbs. If that isn't strong enough I don't know what is...

I run this hitch and couldn't be happier with it. Google "Andersen Ultimate Hitch" and you'll find pages of positive reviews with little negative comments. Most of the negatives are from the non-believer/non-user crowd, and not first hand.