cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel bearing adjustment on DRV

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dexter axles that are lubricated in an oil bath. I had the trailer up on its leveling system with the tires off the ground and noticed when I spin one tire, it only makes one revolution and doesn't turn free like the others. We are leaving tomorrow for a short jaunt of about ninety miles. Is this something I can put off until we return home? It has probably been this way since day one about three years ago. I have noticed when stopped at rest areas that when touching the rims and checking for heat is was just a bit warmer that the others. Are any of you bearing experts that could give me some advice. Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gib3633 wrote:
On our DRV two of the calipers had pads not sitting properly in the calipers which of course made a high contact point . Also there was no lube on the slides. You have been advised two completely opposite theories and I join with the first. Get caliper slide grease. Anti seize is not a lubricant. It is good on bleed screw threads ,manifold bolts and the like, something you may want to remove in the future without breaking the bolts.
Anti seize actually is a great lubricant. Unlike grease it will dry out and not attract dirt. It's made up of almost all graphite and is slippery as heck.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 07.5 DRV slide bolts were dry as a bone. I talked to Kevin at Kodiak and he swore they all are shipped with grease on the slide bolts.

My personal maintenance schedule is remove calipers once a year and lube all mating parts and slide bolts.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
The DRVs have a history of being shipped with dry caliper slide pins. Apparently Kodiak doesn't grease them when they ship the disc brake assemblies and Lippert just bolts them onto the MorRyde or Dexter suspension as they are received when they assemble the frame. The upshot is that the 5th wheels are delivered to the customer with dry caliper slide pins unless the dealer lubes them.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I agree, probably not the bearing. But I'm thinking warped brake rotor, more than sticky slide pins.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would check to see if you have oil in the bearing. The seals on these bearings are very prone to leaking and quite a few owners have replaced with grease bearings.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
On our DRV two of the calipers had pads not sitting properly in the calipers which of course made a high contact point . Also there was no lube on the slides. You have been advised two completely opposite theories and I join with the first. Get caliper slide grease. Anti seize is not a lubricant. It is good on bleed screw threads ,manifold bolts and the like, something you may want to remove in the future without breaking the bolts.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you guys....I hadn't even considered that disc brake hanging up. That is something I can take care of. Thanks for taking time out of your day for me. David

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a brake is dragging to me too. You can also use anti-seize on the slide pins for a lube.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do not have an infrared temperature sensor, I'd suggest you get one. When you start out on the trip, stop after a few miles and check the temperature at each hub. If that one is running hitter, you can suspect either a brake caliper dragging or a bearing starting to go bad.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the electric over hydraulic disc brakes, I'd suspect a brake that's dragging slightly. The calipers slide on bolts - these bolts need to be pulled and lubricated periodically or the calipers will stick. If that's your problem, NAPA has a high temperature grease specifically for this purpose. Just ask them for brake caliper slide pin grease.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600