cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which 5th wheel hitch do you recommend?

Drago
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all I'm planing on up grading to a Voltage 3800 from a tag behind trailer. Therefor I will be needing to buy a 5th wheel hitch, but whice one to go with is the question…
I currently have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Diesel 4x4 4 door long bed Dually. The gcwr is 23500 lbs and the Voltage is :

Unloaded Weight 15,060
Hitch Weight 3,463
Cargo Capacity 3,940

I was thinking of going with the: COMPANION™ - 5TH WHEEL HITCH 20k RVK3500
What are your thought or suggestions?
Thanks
"Life is to short get out there and live!"
49 REPLIES 49

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Don't you need on board air?

Not an owner of that hitch, but have researched extensively. It WILL be the next hitch I buy.

And does not need on board air to operate.

You are correct. You do not need on board air.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Ryeguy
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a curt 20K and haven't had any issues with it in four years. Very pleased with it.
2010 Laramie 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins TD
2008 Okanagan 90W
Torklift Camper tiedowns
Firestone AirBags

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
vietvet66-67 wrote:
I have a CURT Q20. Best money I have spent. They cost a bit less than most, but are an great buy in my opinion. Very positive locking.
I'll second that. I love my Curt Q20.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
BD3 is air and has the true Holland Binkley head ensuring a safe lock. Imagine that? The best of both worlds here and easily comes completely out too!

I am sure they are a quality setup but a B&W with a trail air air rice pin box will give a great and secure ride at MUCH less $$$

But you will need to buy another for the new MS you are buying soon.

But it is only money.
chevman

It will come with the new MS so it's free! 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
BD3 is air and has the true Holland Binkley head ensuring a safe lock. Imagine that? The best of both worlds here and easily comes completely out too!

I am sure they are a quality setup but a B&W with a trail air air rice pin box will give a great and secure ride at MUCH less $$$

But you will need to buy another for the new MS you are buying soon.

But it is only money.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:
My hitch is not the best, it is what came with the truck this is better
The E.T. is the best ,just a bit heavy for pick ups at 700#,way more up and down travel,plus it has a improved binkley hitch

Not to infer that air pin boxes are no good ,just that they are generally pumped up too much (psi)
you seen to not have that issue,what psi do you run?

I put it to the arrow on the shock when loaded. I would guess 75psi. My TrailAir is rated at 21K and that is as big as they get. It really works well.

Yea your system may be a bit overkill for me!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch is not the best, it is what came with the truck this is better
The E.T. is the best ,just a bit heavy for pick ups at 700#,way more up and down travel,plus it has a improved binkley hitch

Not to infer that air pin boxes are no good ,just that they are generally pumped up too much (psi)
you seen to not have that issue,what psi do you run?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:
For those of you advocating for a air pin box over a air hitch,in my research of the two I found that the pin box method is handicapped by the small space available.The small bag volume and surface area require too much air pressure to suspend the pin weight ,after around 70 psi there is almost no movement in the pin and at 90 psi it is the same as if it were made of solid rubber -just a vibration damper at that point.
The air hitches have at least 2 bags and they are bigger ,my trailer saver suspends 4000# with just under 40 psi it has a full range of movement and it stays with the truck if the trailer if sold.
Also the holland binkley head is without equal as it is a commercial unit,with 7500# and 32,000# capacities
The air pin box is a unacceptable compromise and waste of money for high pin weights IMO.

I won't say a bad thing about your setup. I am sure it is top quality.

Have you owned a TrailAir air ride extended kingpin?

I do and I have 4,500# pin weight. The RV floats behind the truck. I can watch it move up and down and the truck does not move. It is an excellent ride. The bag is not small mine is 9.5" in diameter.

Now I have not owned an Airborn air bag kingpin system but from the looks of it it would not work as well as what I have IMHO.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you advocating for a air pin box over a air hitch,in my research of the two I found that the pin box method is handicapped by the small space available.The small bag volume and surface area require too much air pressure to suspend the pin weight ,after around 70 psi there is almost no movement in the pin and at 90 psi it is the same as if it were made of solid rubber -just a vibration damper at that point.
The air hitches have at least 2 bags and they are bigger ,my trailer saver suspends 4000# with just under 40 psi it has a full range of movement and it stays with the truck if the trailer if sold.
Also the holland binkley head is without equal as it is a commercial unit,with 7500# and 32,000# capacities
The air pin box is a unacceptable compromise and waste of money for high pin weights IMO.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not an owner of that hitch, but have researched extensively. It WILL be the next hitch I buy.

And does not need on board air to operate.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:

I'm sure the B&W is quality too, but depending on what model of B&W and TrailAir pin box, your cost could be same as our one hitch, plus easily removed by one person when you need to put it away for the season.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:

I'm sure the B&W is quality too, but depending on what model of B&W and TrailAir pin box, your cost could be same as our one hitch, plus easily removed by one person when you need to put it away for the season.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Drago wrote:
Hello to all I'm planing on up grading to a Voltage 3800 from a tag behind trailer. Therefor I will be needing to buy a 5th wheel hitch, but whice one to go with is the question…
I currently have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Diesel 4x4 4 door long bed Dually. The gcwr is 23500 lbs and the Voltage is :

Unloaded Weight 15,060
Hitch Weight 3,463
Cargo Capacity 3,940

What are your thought or suggestions?
Thanks

Thoughts:
NOT the weight police...but you might want to consider an MDT or even better an HDT *before* you buy the hitch.

Check Escapees forums for MDT & HDT.

Other than that......how many replies (regarding whatever brand) does it take to indicate - "That's the one"??..:@

Suggestions:
Try your Q on the toy hauler forum.
Lots of folks with long/heavy 5ths due to the "toys".

Good luck.

~

My 2003 Chevy Silverado LT trim 4 X 4 dually crew cab 3500 was just about 8000 pounds.

So yep, he's gonna be close to gcwr with nothing added to the truck.

As far as hitches go, lots of good choices already given. Just remember there is a learning curve to experience with any new equipment.

Example, the Reese hitch is known throughout RV forum as the culprit behind most dropped fifth wheels. Why? Cause folks skip or forget part of the learning curve with that hitch. They don't do the mandatory "pull test" after they hook up, and before completely lifting the front legs of the fiver.

So whatever you do get, make sure you read carefully and understand what needs to be done each and every time you hitch up your fiver.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Drago
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to who have replied, I really appreciate all your in put. It looks like I have a lot of homework to do but that's ok. It's a small price to pay to being safe. Oh also as to "the right one" it's all about asking the right questions..right...:B
Thanks again and happy trials!
"Life is to short get out there and live!"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote: