cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is using swivel wheel/Idaho Tote type carriers ?

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in a delima on how to safely haul a golf cart/UTV . I have been looking at the swivel wheel trailers , using a 2nd trailer ( double tow ), or on the extreme side just throwing in the towel & getting a toy hauler or TT with cart in pickup bed.
It's not any of the above I want to do but DW's mobility getting really bad. Looked at all-terrainn scooters but even broken down for transport I just can't pickup one of the parts ( 180+-). So my question is what are the folks in my situation doing ?
25 REPLIES 25

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The SmartTrailer I had was the double wheel type. I never thought the single wheel would be able to handle the weight. I didn't know Cruiser Lift made a Swivelwheel trailer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I pulled a Smart Trailer for a few years with two motorcycles on it. It's a swivel-wheel type trailer and worked great. You had to watch your tail swing, but the fact that you can back up with no problems is worth it. FWIW I pulled through and stayed in several of those red states with no issues. Never even rated a second look. But of course YMMV.

I actually just found a used one over in Louisiana but he wants more than new one but also found a place just south of DFW that sales & installs the Cruiserlift brand.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
If you are looking at tame riding, why not an inexpensive chinese unit. a small trike maybe?
Or if a bicycle styled unit would work
electric fat wheel trike
these are made for off road or sand usage and should be light enough to still go in the truck bed, or on a carrier either on the truck front or the 5er rear.

She can't do the pedaling required of the trikes. Good idea tho

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Hadn’t seen this map. Thanks.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pulled a SmartTrailer for a few years with two motorcycles on it. It's a swivel-wheel type trailer and worked great. You had to watch your tail swing, but the fact that you can back up with no problems is worth it. FWIW I pulled through and stayed in several of those red states with no issues. Never even rated a second look. But of course YMMV.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at tame riding, why not an inexpensive chinese unit. a small trike maybe?
Or if a bicycle styled unit would work
electric fat wheel trike
these are made for off road or sand usage and should be light enough to still go in the truck bed, or on a carrier either on the truck front or the 5er rear.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Would towing a pickup with a scooter of some sort on its back behind a class a motorhome be a consideration?

I absolutely have no desire to go back to a MH. We've had 2 and I just don't like haveing one. DW just needs something that is more " off road " than her mobility scooter plus She has a lifted golf cart for our farm now. The scooter doesn't do well at our Arkansas hideaway or on the Tx beaches. Looking more like the small trailer is easiest right now. There is a guy in our town that builds a hitch that replaces the entire thin bumper & ties it back into the frame.
Another route is I can rent a UTV from United in Rogers Ar & they deliver . Golf cart rental on the coast is a little pricey but maybe worth it instead of all this towing complications.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Would towing a pickup with a scooter of some sort on its back behind a class a motorhome be a consideration?

I know someone that could make a VERY cool lift. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For us the best option is a MH with no need to get in/out while traveling. For MH travel the mobility scooter uses ramps to store inside the Jeep. Also have a carrier on the Jeep for local travel.

The scooter easily breaks down into 6 parts (no tools) so could be carried in your truck with 5er.

Not what you asked but maybe some additional ideas to consider.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I double tow a Kendon MC Trailer with no real issues other than I have to be careful where I travel as it's not easy to back up doubles.

I would look into a small aluminum trailer with a ramp. I would assume that would keep you light enough to not require brakes.

If you tow in the green states then you are Golden!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD