cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wind factor

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
coming back from Havasu, had 25-35 MPH winds. with the boat and kayak setup I could really feel the wind. would it make a difference if I turned the boat around so the back is first, or could I turn it over. when I had it setup with my TT and camper shell. was no problem, bit I guess with it out front, much more air to capture
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂
17 REPLIES 17

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
sorry thought i had

BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
coming back from Havasu, had 25-35 MPH winds. with the boat and kayak setup I could really feel the wind. would it make a difference if I turned the boat around so the back is first, or could I turn it over. when I had it setup with my TT and camper shell. was no problem, bit I guess with it out front, much more air to capture

After about 45 mph the wind resistance is typically greater than rolling resistance on level ground with all other things being equal that never happens. If you were punching into 25-35 mph headwinds then a forward speed of only about 20-30 mph would give wind resistance factors of 50 mph or more adding in the head winds. If you were driving 55 mph and adding the 25 mph head winds or nearly head winds that equates to a no wind speed resistance of 75 mph. Probably positioning the boat for the least wind resistance would help.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
? Picture!
Currently Between RVs