cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Alabama full-timers?

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
If so, please help me with this question. Approximately how much does it cost per year to renew your tag, including any ad valorem taxes?

Are there any other annual fees that I might not be aware of?

Thanks.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress
3 REPLIES 3

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I am full time and a legal resident of Alabama. The property tax on my fifth wheel drops every year, but the tax isn't enough to make me go to the trouble of setting up residence in any of the states mentioned above. I just pay it and move on.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alabama has a state tax. I'd use one the the states friendly to full-timers. TX, FL and SD. No state taxes.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Kiplinger:

"Car sales are taxed at 2% by the state (half of the general tax), and municipalities can add to that, with the maximum local levy at 5.25%. Most vehicles are subject to an annual property tax, with rates set by municipality. The levy applies even to vehicles not used on the road.

In Shelby County, for example, the tax on a private passenger vehicle valued at $16,800 would be approximately $124 per year."

Link

You'll also want to check into the legal requirements for establishing legal domicile there - some states are easier or more difficult than others.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015