cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert RV fridge to residential

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We are in the process of buying a Solitude 378MBS to fulltime in.
We will be adding 1200 watts of solar, 3kw inverter and 3 SOK Lithium batteries. We plan to boondock at least 50% of the time (probably a lot more).
The Solitude has a 18CF RV fridge in it and we think one of the new residential fridges would be better - after reviewing all the pros and cons of each.
We have no idea what this would cost or where to have the conversion done.
Thoughts?
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah
22 REPLIES 22

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
William Willard wrote:
If you give me a call, I can give you an idea of what it will take to change your frig -- I`ve installed 5/6 Samsung`s in motorhomes -- It`s not not big of a chore -- Depending on location of frig & furnace -- Or perhaps there`re other choices that may suit your needs better -- Bill

Bill, I will call you after I speak to the dealer to see what he might do.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Are you certain that 18 cu/ft fridge isn't residential? I think that's normally what it comes with as shown in the link below.
Link to floorplan

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Cptnvideo,

3 batteries is a little light.

This website may help with understanding solar.

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/

If planning to cold weather camp, consider alternatives to Li.

No cold weather camping for us. Actually, SOK Lithium batteries - 618 A/H. And I guess you assume I know very little about solar. You shouldn't assume.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have Grand Design or dealer install one before delivery, might save some money since it is the more economical option. We prefer the type of RVing you plan to do and have always had great service from the RV fridges onboard our rigs, just makes life simpler overall. Luckily, we have never had an RV fridge in a slide, they can have lackluster performance.

I might rethink it someday as it would cost nearly $5K to replace the current RV version in our rig, for that sum I could have 3 residential fridges installed although I would do the Amish upgrade before going that route. Hope all goes well on your full-timing adventures, it is not every one's cup of tea as we have seen recently here on forum.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cptnvideo,

3 batteries is a little light.

This website may help with understanding solar.

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/

If planning to cold weather camp, consider alternatives to Li.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer
If you give me a call, I can give you an idea of what it will take to change your frig -- I`ve installed 5/6 Samsung`s in motorhomes -- It`s not not big of a chore -- Depending on location of frig & furnace -- Or perhaps there`re other choices that may suit your needs better -- Bill

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
William Willard wrote:
Where in Arizona are you -- I`m in Gilbert AZ -- May be of some assistance in helping you -- William Willard williampwillard@gmail.com 480-540-7377

We are currently in Sun City West waiting for our house to sell so we can begin fulltiming. We're buying the Solitude at Little Dealer in Mesa.

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer
Where in Arizona are you -- I`m in Gilbert AZ -- May be of some assistance in helping you -- William Willard williampwillard@gmail.com 480-540-7377