cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fulltime Domicile Question

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Okay - We're going fulltime next spring. Looking into Domicile and it looks like South Dakota wins. DO NOT NEED HEALTH CARE INSURANCE - so don't go there....

Question - Does anyone use ESCAPEES for their mail service? The satellite office in Box Elder? How simple does Escapees make it for setting everything up as a South Dakota domicile? Will they do ALL of the leg work to help, similar to the other mail forwarding services? such as - register vehicles and so forth?

PLEASE ONLY RESPOND IF U USE ESCAPEES....I don't care about WHAT U use...

Sorry, I have to do this because people don't READ the post and before you know it I'm reading a lot of information that I don't care about....

Thanks,
-paul
19 REPLIES 19

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
From what I read in the Escapees magazine and on their site, you may set up a mailbox for the purpose of having an address where "domicile" type documents would be sent. . . insurance, license plates, voting documents, tax returns, etc. Those documents, once sent to SD, would be forwarded to your mailbox in Livingston. It's an extra stop for your mail. That mail would be sent first to SD, then forwarded to Livingston. All other documents and mail go directly to your mailbox in Livingston.

As far as registering vehicles, etc., you have that all to do on your own. I don't think they have staff to do that for you.

As I understand it, the Florida connection works the same.

We have been using Alternative Resources, now Dakota Post for 10 years and have been extremely happy with them. When we buy a new vehicle, they had a dedicated employee you talk with who walks you through the forms to fill out and then you mail it all to her and she goes down to the BMV and gets your plates, etc., for you. If there is any problem, she will tell you exactly what you need to do. I think the cost for that is about $40, much cheaper than driving there. Voting is simple. . . they can put the absentee ballot applications in your box rather than you writing for one. Easy peasy.

Dale

Thanks Dale,

I think this is the route we'll take. We want to be on the western side of SD and close to Rapid City. We are currently looking into all of the mail services in the area. Since we'll be traveling a lot we would like someone to do all of the running for us. Don't have a problem paying for the service.....

-paul

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This lady will take very good care of your every need from setting up your Domicile to mail service to getting your license plates and registration for you.

Awesome!!!

Terri Lund
My Dakota Address
110 E. Center St.
Madison, SD 57042
www.mydakotaaddress.com
Phone: 605-427-5863
Fax: 605-427-9626
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This lady will take very good care of your every need from setting up your Domicile to mail service to getting your license plates and registration for you.

Awesome!!!

Terri Lund
My Dakota Address
110 E. Center St.
Madison, SD 57042
www.mydakotaaddress.com
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Awesome!!!

Terri Lund
My Dakota Address
110 E. Center St.
Madison, SD 57042
www.mydakotaaddress.com

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
If you are still considering the Escapes SD option, read here:

Escapees SD
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
From what I read in the Escapees magazine and on their site, you may set up a mailbox for the purpose of having an address where "domicile" type documents would be sent. . . insurance, license plates, voting documents, tax returns, etc. Those documents, once sent to SD, would be forwarded to your mailbox in Livingston. It's an extra stop for your mail. That mail would be sent first to SD, then forwarded to Livingston. All other documents and mail go directly to your mailbox in Livingston.

As far as registering vehicles, etc., you have that all to do on your own. I don't think they have staff to do that for you.

As I understand it, the Florida connection works the same.

We have been using Alternative Resources, now Dakota Post for 10 years and have been extremely happy with them. When we buy a new vehicle, they had a dedicated employee you talk with who walks you through the forms to fill out and then you mail it all to her and she goes down to the BMV and gets your plates, etc., for you. If there is any problem, she will tell you exactly what you need to do. I think the cost for that is about $40, much cheaper than driving there. Voting is simple. . . they can put the absentee ballot applications in your box rather than you writing for one. Easy peasy.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Best place to ask the question would be on the Escapee Forum Site.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flanz wrote:
Fulltimer50 wrote:
Escapees foorum

I am an Escapee, but I dont use their mail service, but
I found this after doing a search on the Escapees Forum(you can too). Gives a little info, but the service in SD & Fl is a new addition and even those in TX dont know much. Hope this helps

Thanks - This helped, but I'm still curious if anyone out there has gone thru the process with the Box Elder office and what's their take on it. I know it's fairly new for the Escapees organization to be in SD. This is why I'm asking the questions....

-paul

Probably best to call Escapees and inquire seeing as it is something NEW.

Otherwise pick one!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimer50 wrote:
Escapees foorum

I found this after doing a search on the Escapees Forum(you can too). Gives a little info, but the service in SD & Fl is a new addition and even those in TX dont know much. Hope this helps

Thanks - This helped, but I'm still curious if anyone out there has gone thru the process with the Box Elder office and what's their take on it. I know it's fairly new for the Escapees organization to be in SD. This is why I'm asking the questions....

-paul

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Escapees foorum

George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
The SD office is new, so there aren't a lot of people using it - - that's why the recommendation to call Livingston and talk to them about it. Given that you like the organization (we've been using them for almost 10 years) why are you so adamant about not having a Texas domicile?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Flanz wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
You will have to maintain a South Dakota address for a South Dakota domicile. You will end up paying for two mail services. Check out www.dakotapost.net

How ya figure? Escapees will provide both the address and mail forwarding service for SD domicile. Unless I mis-read their web page.

If you domicile in South Dakota, you have to have a mail address to register vehicles, register to vote, maintain banking accounts, and file tax returns. That is what establishes your domicile. You will have to pay a mail forwarding company for that address.

If you get your mail in Texas, you will also have to pay for that mail forwarding service.

Why not just use South Dakota for everything?

I am using South Dakota for everything. Escapees maintains a "satellite office" in Box Elder South Dakota. This is what I'm inquiring about.

https://www.escapees.com/knowledge/domicile/south-dakota-domicile-information

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Valkyriebush wrote:
I use Escapees and have since 2005 for domicile and mail service. The mail service is great. I just have the USPS forward my mail from my home to my SKP address in Livingston TX when on the road, and simply call them and tell them were to send it when I'm somewhere long enough to receive it. They have nice parks too. We also have a leased lot in the Chimacum WA park. You can't go wrong with their set up and club bennies The mail service is an extra charge. About 100 bucks a year and worth it.

That's great!!! It's what I've heard, BUT I'm not going to Texas OR using the Texas office for anything. That's why I'm inquiring about the South Dakota version of the Escapees....The office in Box Elder....

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Flanz wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
You will have to maintain a South Dakota address for a South Dakota domicile. You will end up paying for two mail services. Check out www.dakotapost.net

How ya figure? Escapees will provide both the address and mail forwarding service for SD domicile. Unless I mis-read their web page.

If you domicile in South Dakota, you have to have a mail address to register vehicles, register to vote, maintain banking accounts, and file tax returns. That is what establishes your domicile. You will have to pay a mail forwarding company for that address.

If you get your mail in Texas, you will also have to pay for that mail forwarding service.

Why not just use South Dakota for everything?