Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Legal work around for urban boon docking

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

I've heard the term "RV hell" a few times when referencing RVing out east, and I'm starting to figure out why. I'm having a heck of a time finding a rv site with openings for their monthly spots. I did, however, find someone willing to rent out their yard for a reasonable rate. Electric, water, and wifi included. It's well within the city limits, and I'm concerned about the legality. I'm not afraid of breaking the law, haha, but I am afraid of having nowhere to park.

I have two potential work-arounds for this. Firstly, I have heard of people camping out next to a business as a "contracted" arrangement for over night security. Basically keeping an eye on the place and calling 911 if need be. I've heard of people having success doing this for private businesses, but I'm not sure how it would work for a residential/rental property. Perhaps providing "security" AND "maintanence" would work?

My second idea is one that I have brain stormed all on my own
,haha. Since he is already renting the house out to tenants, what if I was technically a tenant of the house and said that I just used the RV as a "creative space" away from the roommates. I am a musician after all, and we like to practice the same thing over and over and over. ๐Ÿ™‚ In reality I will be living in the RV, but "creative space" excuse would be my cover story if the cops come knocking.

Now this would only be a short term solution, maybe a few months, until a space opens up in an RV site that I like. Is it really only a concern if people start to complain? How thin of ice am I skating on?

Any thoughts and/or experiences?

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

GypsiesAtHeart2
Explorer
Explorer
Check out a mobile home park. They may have a short term stay available. There is a decent one in my area the advertises RV spots available. I think they are looking for the snowbirds that come back north for the summer or someone visiting the are a for a while.
2014 Forest River Wildcat 293 REX
2012 GMC 3500 HD SRW CC LB Diesel

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Usually if you find a "work around" of one law, you will usually step in "it"
with another law, that is on the books.

It is easier and cheaper to do things right the first time.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys....haven't left the building. I just left town for a few days. ๐Ÿ™‚

When I first posted my question, I had not yet checked the city ordinances. I just assumed it was not allowed. After the first couple of replies, I did some thorough research, and my assumptions were correct. The zoning laws do not permit living in an RV on residential property. You are allowed to park/store one on your property, however. I also do not believe there is an HOA in this location.

In response to Naio, I am not "excited" about breaking the law. I am concerned about it, and would prefer not to break the law.

With all of this being said....the property owner is NOT worried about it in the slightest. I don't know if this is due to his ignorance or if he actually knows for a fact that te neighbors/city won't care. His complete lack of concern is in some ways MORE concerning to me. I'm not convinced he knows what he's getting into. Or perhaps he is intentionally downplaying the risks just to get my money.

I'm pretty skeptical to say the least, so I apreciate all of your perspectives. It's a convenient location at a really good price, but perhaps not worth the risks....

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Check the city ordinances. In my city it is legal to park an RV on my property but it cannot be occupied. This is not an HOA, it is city law.

You might get away with it for a while but expect neighbors to eventually turn you in if it is against an ordinance.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

There are HOA's in place in almost all towns.

I've never encountered one in the west, nor has anyone I know. That doesn't mean they don't exist there, but they are not ubiquitous.

If I understand the OP's posts correctly, the place he is looking at has no HOA, but there is a city ordinance against mobile homes which he assumes applies to RVs, and that is what he is concerned about (or, it sounds to me, excited about breaking).

Anyway, the OP appears to have left the building.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I don't think YOU would have any problems at all. If there were any violation of city or Home Owner's Association zoning or ordinances, it would fall on the home owner, not you.

But the home owner may be in a position to tell you, you have to move. It won't be the authorities, it will be the homeowner. In the end, it's his/her property.

About business, same is true there also. It's their responsibility to ensure they comply with local or city zoning ordinances, not yours.

Still, the home-owner / business could make such an agreement, get in trouble later, and the ask you to move. You'd have to. No choice. If you continued to stay, then the home owner / business could take legal action against your for trespass or any other thing they wanted to.

In the end, the responsibility is on the home owner, not you.

X2
God Bless!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
.in my mind that's a lot different than pack of run down vans/RVs parking in front of random people's houses indefinitely, taking up space, and being an eye sore.

There are HOA's in place in almost all towns. AND It does NOT have anything to do with run down RV's.

They want "NO" RV's, boats, etc. parked in their neighborhood and it is usually strictly enforced. Behind a fence or not.

Just ask some of the RV'ers that live in an HOA community that can't even park their $500,000.00 RV in front of their house just to pack their belongs in it for a trip. :W

If the person you found that is willing to rent a space out to you has an HOA it won't take but a day for a neighbor to call it in.

FYI: HOA = Home Owners Association. An agreement that is signed when purchasing a home that can include no RV's parked, etc.

In reality I will be living in the RV, but "creative space" excuse would be my cover story if the cops come knocking...

Rent an apartment until a spot in a CG opens up for you might be the easiest thing for you to do.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
The city ordinance does not allow long term mobile home dwelling on residential properties. I guess the exception would be if you were just visiting, but I'm not sure how long you can stay before you're no longer a "visitor" or how they could go about enforcing it. Maybe I could visit for a month, leave for a day, and then come back and visit for another month?....

When all the neighbors start calling you in for it.

zach477 wrote:
.....and I'm concerned about the legality. I'm not afraid of breaking the law, haha,....

It's attitudes like this that gives all 'responsible' RV'ers a bad name. :R

Perhaps that came out wrong...

I think we share the same concern. I don't want to cause any harm, become a nuisance, or add to the list of troublesome RVers who park in swarms in nice neighborhoods while occasionally driving around the block to skirt the legal requirements, etc. I realize that there are a lot of people with anti-RV sentiments, and I don't want to poke the bear and make it worse. That being said, my exact legal status (for a month or two) would fall lower on my list of priorities than everything mentioned above.

I mean, if I was discreetly parked in someone's back yard for a month, surrounded by a tall fence, with nobody able to see or hear me or even know I was there, but it was technically illegal...in my mind that's a lot different than pack of run down vans/RVs parking in front of random people's houses indefinitely, taking up space, and being an eye sore.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Usually 'mobile home' has a completely different meaning from 'RV'.

IIRC, ordinances against mobile homes have recently been found to be illegal discrimination, and removed from the books... but that may vary from state to state.

Still, that would not affect RVs.

Personally, I am of the school of thought that you do what you feel like on private property, and be super considerate of the neighbors. IMO the purpose of many laws is just to make it easy to get rid of people who are obnoxious, not to ban the behavior completely.

I would be bowled over if the city has money to do enforcement if no one complains about you.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps, instead of breaking the law, you should get a month to month apartment until a space opens up......
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The city ordinance does not allow long term mobile home dwelling on residential properties. I guess the exception would be if you were just visiting, but I'm not sure how long you can stay before you're no longer a "visitor" or how they could go about enforcing it. Maybe I could visit for a month, leave for a day, and then come back and visit for another month?....

When all the neighbors start calling you in for it.

zach477 wrote:
.....and I'm concerned about the legality. I'm not afraid of breaking the law, haha,....

It's attitudes like this that gives all 'responsible' RV'ers a bad name. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
The city ordinance does not allow long term mobile home dwelling on residential properties. I guess the exception would be if you were just visiting, but I'm not sure how long you can stay before you're no longer a "visitor" or how they could go about enforcing it. Maybe I could visit for a month, leave for a day, and then come back and visit for another month? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you think it is against the law? Have you looked up the local laws?

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
in our town you can live in an RV on private property if you want but you can't have a house trailer. Registered and leave the wheels on and your OK.