cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Term Electric usage.

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
One of the "additional" fees for long term full timing is electric, usually not included in the price of a 3,4,5,6 month stay.

Normally it's priced by kw/h. I have no idea how many kw/h my 32ft 5th wheel will use on a full time basis, but I watch a lot of TV and don't like being hot :). I keep my freezer pretty full, but gas would handle that if I find it to be cheaper for propane (probably isn't)

Using a nice round figure of .20 for electric per kw/h, how much do you think? Or how much have you averaged per month cost wise?

TIA
10 REPLIES 10

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
It is less expensive to run the electric heaters and refrigerator on electric, rather than hassel with refilling the propane tank every couple of months.

It takes about 22 KW of electric to make 80,000 Btu's of heat, while this same amount is made burning a gallon of propane (with flue gas loss taken into account).

So if a gallon of propane is $2.20 and a KW is only 10 cents, it would be equal cost either way. However the propane is normally not delivered, and if you are burning 2 gallons of gas to make a special trip, you would not with the electric.

If you have a heat pump, then you can make 80,000 Btu's while consuming about 8 KW, or 80 cents at 10 cents per KW. Heat pumps are very economical. .

Fred.

At .15-.18 per kw, it would be 50-80% higher than your estimate, so maybe propane for heat, electric for AC, microwave and TV. Guess I'll have to see. being fixed income, was just trying to put some budget numbers together.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
It really depends where you are at. Each state has its own rates. And I have been in CG's in Florida where they tack on charges to your electric use. And have been at some that just have a flat rate per month to use the electric.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
It is less expensive to run the electric heaters and refrigerator on electric, rather than hassel with refilling the propane tank every couple of months.

It takes about 22 KW of electric to make 80,000 Btu's of heat, while this same amount is made burning a gallon of propane (with flue gas loss taken into account).

So if a gallon of propane is $2.20 and a KW is only 10 cents, it would be equal cost either way. However the propane is normally not delivered, and if you are burning 2 gallons of gas to make a special trip, you would not with the electric.

If you have a heat pump, then you can make 80,000 Btu's while consuming about 8 KW, or 80 cents at 10 cents per KW. Heat pumps are very economical. .

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We paid .12/kwh in Florida last winter at an Escapees owned park. Our cost for the month was $32.

Well based on that, the parks in Q charge .15/.18 per kw/h so maybe $50 a month. Not bad.

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
I was in Q last winter for 3 months. My cost was $75 to $105 / month. I'm a pretty heavy user.

Well, with your "rock band on tour" rig I would think you'd pay a bit, LOL. My little one slide 5ver should use half that at most, so that gives me a better idea.

Maybe if I hit the lotto I can trade up and not worry about it. 😄

A dream for another day, sigh......

But I'm living a dream a lot of others can't, so there's that.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We paid .12/kwh in Florida last winter at an Escapees owned park. Our cost for the month was $32.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You won't go broke buying electricity at Q for winter. 20 cents is quite high, even in Palm Springs it's around 14. And just for nits, it's kwh, no slash.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Q last winter for 3 months. My cost was $75 to $105 / month. I'm a pretty heavy user.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be in Quartzsite AZ for the winter, 1st year. I've been told that temps usually average a range from mid 70's during the day to mid 50's at night, give or take.

Nice blog, I've bookmarked it.:C

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
where are you located? What are the average daily temps, nightly temps?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited