cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

medical insurance under 65?

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
DH has Medicare, but I'm 62. ACA is state specific and doesn't look like it would work for a FT lifestyle.

No employee coverage... no retiree coverage. No cobra. No military.

Sooo...any ideas?

cts
37 REPLIES 37

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't intend for anything political. Just trying to figure out how to get from here to there and be covered. Medicare sure solves a lot of issues.

cts

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Careful folks... getting political and someone will shut the thread down...
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
I did check the insurance companies websites and the problem was finding something with a national network. Aetna and United Healthcare do have national networks... but only for the pricier plans. The cheaper ones... bronze/silver etc were HMO's and the only coverage you have is in state. Emergency only out of state.

I'm applying right now for a 1 yr policy with UHC that is NOT an exchange. Fingers crossed. It will expire next Dec and is not renewable due to ACA unless the law changes.

I am happy for those who are getting help through the exchanges. But it sure is creating some major issues for a lot of other folks. It would have been better if they'd just done away with the state lines and let people choose what they needed. Heck at 62 I don't need maternity coverage!

Anyway... I was hoping someone had an idea or answer for the travelling issue. Never thought I'd be happy to get older faster.

cts

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do not have to buy insurance thru the exchange. You can shop directly with companies and do the comparing yourself. All you have to do is make sure it is a compliant plan, which nearly all are now.

We have been paying for our own insurance since 1995. The ACA has lowered our costs (just a little) the last two years. We have been paying over $1000 a month for high deductible ($5000 each) for years.

A plan we found on Healthcare.gov which has a much lower deductible, will lower our monthly payment to under $700.

We rarely travel out of state but I am going to look closer at that.

The Supreme Court has stated the new law is constitional.

Every one has to buy car insurance so I never understood what the problem was. Everyone should have medical coverage.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
What you have to do is check and see what companies offer policies in your area and the government site works for that. Then go onto the insurance companies website and see what they offer. We only had 3 companies to choose from and our deciding factors were the out of network coverage, it's going to be higher than in network but you will be covered. Make all your decisions and then go onto the healtcare.gov site and set up a account, we tried the phone exchange first and that was a complete waste of 3 weeks. We did manage to come out the other end with a policy.

Just because we got it to work doesn't mean we are happy, we were happy with what we had before our constitutional rights were trampled on by some very arrogant people.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
You have to buy your own from the exchange. Since your husband is retired
your income may be low to the point that your premiums are cheap.

Brian

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to the insurance companies websites and you will find more info. Even eHealthinsurance.com has better information, and it's up all the time.

I've looked and looked and am still looking for that affordable part. Best I can do is about $950 a month (for two) for a bronze plan which pays squat. A good plan (Gold) costs $1,350. Either one eats up a lot of retirement income for those of us not yet age qualified for Medicare.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
ACA state exchanges. Most are hmo and only are good in state. Hard to get good info from them right now. Already tried that.

cts