cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12V battery not charging when attached to shore power

mmoore43
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 30 foot Fleetwood Storm has recently stopped charging the 12V batteries when connected to Shore Power.

The 12v batteries are fine and when I test the power coming out of the power converter I get >10 DC volts output.

I have tested the relay/transfer switch and this is what happens

If connected to Shoreline I get >10 DC Volts at all three connections (the Generator line, Shore line, and Circuit Breaker.

If Generator running and Shore line cord plugged in I get the same at all three connections

If Generator is running but not plugged in I get only >10 DC Volts at the Generator connection not the other two.

Does any of this make sense as to why my 12V batteries are not charging when I am plugged to shore power?

Please help
15 REPLIES 15

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are the actual voltages you're seeing? You should have somewhat over 13V from the converter--around 13.5V if it's a single stage converter, something between 13.2 and 14.x volts if it's a multistage converter depending which stage it's in. If you're only seeing 10 or 11 or 12 volts, it's not operating properly and you're just seeing the battery voltage. It may be broken, or it may just be that the reverse polarity fuses are blown.