cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1979 Dodge Sportsman 22' Problems

dallaslee
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to this so please go easy on me. I have a 1979 Dodge Sportsman that cuts off everytime I put it in gear even after I've let it run for a while. I can't figure out where to put the power steering fluid in it and I have to jump it everytime I start it. Does any of this seem familiar to anyone? I need someone with experience to really help me out. Thanks for reading.
8 REPLIES 8

Krmitchell1113
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 79 sportsman and really need a wiring diagram. It smells like gas really bad and from my research what I can gather is when it was gutted the circuitry for the purge valve solenoid was broken I need to k ow where the solenoid is located and what its wired too. Pink 25 which is blue and yellow to the ECM is what I'm kinda seeing online but I'd like to know for sure

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have a manual or a wiring diagram unfortunately. I can ask around as I know several people with 78s and 79s

You might try disconnecting the battery when you first turn off the engine after running it a while, then reconnect it and try starting it. If it starts, then you most likely just have something pulling battery power and the battery itself is OK. If it doesn't, then the battery is at least part of the problem.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dallaslee
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket wrote:
You _might_ find a repair manual on eBay or craigslist. Look for a Chilton's manual. The van & cutaway chassis are probably similar enough to be covered in the same manual. That will cover the Dodge wiring, but not the RV wiring.

If you haven't, also look in the muli-hundred page thread running here for older Dodge owners.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

Thanks Jim. I saw some dvd manuals online and I'll search the forum for more info.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
You _might_ find a repair manual on eBay or craigslist. Look for a Chilton's manual. The van & cutaway chassis are probably similar enough to be covered in the same manual. That will cover the Dodge wiring, but not the RV wiring.

If you haven't, also look in the muli-hundred page thread running here for older Dodge owners.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

dallaslee
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I have a 75 Dodge B300. The power steering fluid access is in the center and low down in the engine (behind and below the radiator).

Have you tried changing out the battery? It may be that your battery won't hold a charge.

Not sure on the cutting out when put in gear. Mine runs great once I get it started... Have you tried giving it a touch of gas as you change gears (other foot on the brake of course)?

Thanks for all of these responses. I bought a new battery for it in October but I'll pull it out and have it charged completely to see if that helps. Sounds like some of these issues are typical for Dodge in this era.

Do any of you have wiring diagrams or the owners manual for a similar year? I've completely gutted this unit and rebuilt it as a single chair barbershop so I'm trying to get it on the road for business.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know the fix for it, but the late-70's and early 80's Dodge vans & cutaways with 318's and 360's were _extremely_ cold natured until they were fully warmed up. I drove a newish Dodge school van on field trips in '79 & '80. The only way to get it out of the parking space after sitting overnight, even in warm weather, was to 'power-brake' it... one foot on the brake, one on the gas revving it, drop it into gear, than ease off the brake. It would still stall sometimes if not revved high enough.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 75 Dodge B300. The power steering fluid access is in the center and low down in the engine (behind and below the radiator).

Have you tried changing out the battery? It may be that your battery won't hold a charge.

Not sure on the cutting out when put in gear. Mine runs great once I get it started... Have you tried giving it a touch of gas as you change gears (other foot on the brake of course)?
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
check all your vacuum lines in the engine bay to make sure none are missing or rotted. Power steering fluid is added with a funnel to the reservoir which should be accessed at front of rv when you pop the hood, you unscrew the cap to the reservoir