cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20 foot 1975 Argosy Motorhome

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at purchasing, for restoration, a 1975 20 foot "rare" Argosy Motorhome. Anyone have any experience with these? Anything I should look out for? I understand these had a 454 under the hood. I am very familiar with the living reno space in an old RV but limited with the motor. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
When you buy something that old you should expect a certain amount for repairs just on age alone. I paid $10K for my '75 GMC and fully expect another 10K to get it in shape. It only has 55K and that appears correct. 16.5" tires meant $1500 for new wheels and $1100 for new Michelin tires (FMCA Advantage), $1700 for a thorough checkup at Holland Motor Homes and now needing replacement of front bearings & carb rebuild. Then I can start on the 40 yr. old interior. Fortunately I have the '95 Roadtrek to use during the service times.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

traindriver1
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure windshields are good. My brother has one he is restoring. New windshields are $4000.00

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my Argosy 20 pulling the 1974 VW Beetle.

Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
ViewRVs.com
Fred's Airstream Archives

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer
Wagonqueen Truckster wrote:
Looking at purchasing, for restoration, a 1975 20 foot "rare" Argosy Motorhome. Anyone have any experience with these? Anything I should look out for? I understand these had a 454 under the hood. I am very familiar with the living reno space in an old RV but limited with the motor. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to my Argosy 20 page with lots of pictures.
ViewRVs.com - Argosy 20' Motorhomes

I have a 1977 Argosy 20 myself and know several others with them.

They were made from 1974 to 1978. Most have rear baths. They are all built on the Chevy P-30 truck chassis with the T400 transmission. Most have the 454 engine but some will have a 350 engine.

Please feel free the private message me with any questions.
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
ViewRVs.com
Fred's Airstream Archives

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
FWIW, friends of mine bought one down in Florida and drove it up to MN with no problems a year ago. They were going to redo it, but simply don't have the time with all the other projects. They currently have it up for sale. If you want to PM me your E-mail address I can pass it on to them.

thanks so much for the pic. That is awesome. My brother in law is actually looking at one this weekend. If it doesn't work out, then I will get that info from you.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to have a mechanic check the engine, driveline, brakes, etc..
It won't be any different than a truck.
The tires will probably need replaced.

If you do the project, keep us updated.
It will be cool and awesome.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, friends of mine bought one down in Florida and drove it up to MN with no problems a year ago. They were going to redo it, but simply don't have the time with all the other projects. They currently have it up for sale. If you want to PM me your E-mail address I can pass it on to them.

There’s no fool, like an old fool.