cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2003 Minnie Winnie

cdromo
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone removed the tv cabinet/storage in the loft above the driver's seats? Looking to remodel to a loft bed there.
5 REPLIES 5

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Update: IAMICHABOD provided the link to the article, but it was missing the images. I've since updated the images and replied to the post, bumping it to the top.

Overhead bunk renovation.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had posted on this very topic before, but it's now part of the long lost rv.net archives as I initially posted on this 4-5 years ago. IAMICHABOD would have replied with a link to my earlier post, but was unable to find it - thus, this new reply:

I converted my overhead from an entertainment system with mini-bunks to a full overhead bunk.

First and foremost, determine if the overhead is capable of supporting a bunk. Many class C's were built where the overhead area was never intended for anything except for what was installed.

To determine if the overhead is capable, review the various options for your specific model.

We have a 2016 2250S Sunseeker, and looking at the literature tells us:

that it has the option for the bunk in the overhead.

This is one of two pictures I have of the entertainment center before I cleared the area:

Given that, then you can change it out. However, you'll need to proficient enough to repair access holes for wiring and screw holes, etc once the entertainment system has been removed. FR drilled a large hole at the forward edge of the ceiling for the cables, 12V and 115V wiring:

Fortunately, I had access to some of the same ceiling material from a storage compartment so I was able to patch the area.

Here's a photo essay Photo Essay of the project.

I've since added the TV at the upper right side, but only as a temporary setup to keep the G'children sedated during our trip to/from the family reunion last summer. I have plans to build a proper cabinet & support for the TV, but other projects have taken precedence.

Let me know if you have questions!

--Bruce.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Mike_Leslie
Explorer
Explorer
My husband took out the old, heavy TV from our 2003 Minnie. We already had the entertainment center instead of an upper bed.
We searched Habitat for Humanity stores for a matching door. My dh hinged it at the top. We hang the flat screen TV on the door front.
We have a HUGE storage cupboard behind the door. He did insulate and covered the sides with paneling. He ran electricity into the front of the cupboard to plug in the TV. We have a power surge strip on it.

If you want more information he'll have to answer the questions. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mike Leslie

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
My mini has 2 slides and a jackknife sofa,dont need anymore sleeping area.BUT did replace the tv with a flatscreen. the tv your going to take out weighs about100# have someone help. good luck

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weigh everything you remove. If not sufficient youโ€™ll need careful bracing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad