cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Thor Challenger Residential Refer

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine purchased a 2015 Thor Challenger. It comes standard with a Residential refer and a Xantrex 1800w inverter running off 2 6v deep cycle batteries, as well as a rudimentary Magnum Autogen start. The problem is that the refer will only run if connected to shore power or running the genny. Does this make any sense, or is this a wiring issue? Would an 1800w inverter be large enough to handle the refer load? The inverter is definitely working, as he can watch tv and power the sat receiver off the batteries, however, we were unable to find any hot outlets when only in inverter operation. We were boondocking this past weekend, and he had to run the genny continuously, which kind of defeats the purpose of having quiet time. Unfortunately, I have very little experience with the late model gas coaches.
16 REPLIES 16

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Your assessment is probably accurate but, your not considering the weak part of the equasion...that being the number of batteries. Two six volt batteries would indeed be very marginal in providing the storage needs of that frig and the other dry camping items, lights, tv satellite etc. If the owner doubles the battery capacity, then he would be in a better position to run the frig off of battery power.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Not enough batteries to support a residential refrigerator for long periods of time. You got to have at least six to eight house batteries and even then you need solar panels to maintain the batteries charged.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision