cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

antenna upgrade

JCMack
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of upgrading the antenna head of my winegard system (model VS-0604/VS-6412) by adding the new Sensar IV batwing head.Is this a worth while improvement for over the air reception. The cost is minimal and I must be sure it will clear the AC unit, do the make longer square legs to move head higher thus clear the AC unit when it is down. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
JCMack wrote:
I am thinking of upgrading the antenna head of my winegard system (model VS-0604/VS-6412) by adding the new Sensar IV batwing head.Is this a worth while improvement for over the air reception. The cost is minimal and I must be sure it will clear the AC unit, do the make longer square legs to move head higher thus clear the AC unit when it is down. Thanks

Winegard doesn't offer longer legs for the batwing, but I have seen similar aluminum tubing in hardware/home improvement stores that could be used to fabricate your own. I wouldn't suggest extending them very much though, since you'll be putting a heavier load on the gear mechanism. You can also cut off the end element on the Wingman if necessary to get the needed clearance. That will reduce the effectiveness, but not drastically.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a great improvement whenI upgradex to the Sensar IV with the wing built in. We are currently in an extreme location on the east coast so I added the Sensar Pro meter, for more improvement. Note that terrain is flat and low, but we are viewing stations at 65mile range. Would not expect this in other terrains.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Batwing is the best VHF and just about tied at UHF with the competition without the wingman

Add the wingman it adds around 3DB (Double the power) gain to the Batwing (1.414 times the range). Making the antenna outperform all competitors for distance.

I also added the Sensar PRO indoor module (Switch/Power supply, Much more) and I am currently watching a show I recorded last night over the air.. STUDIO QUALITY, 45.2 mils RF carrier channel 39 UHF

I Might add the local cable company is not as clear on this channel (3)

now Channel 11 (Carrier and display here) VHF is a mile closer and sometimes drops out. It comes in better on cable.

It seems that 50-60 miles or less depending on the power and height of the transmitter is the max range. But nobody makes a better one for RV use.

(I ovent shot 100 mile paths from my parents house but hey. a 100' Tower and an antenna dang near as long as my RV... That will do it.)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
The wing-add-on is a must
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

cpoo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I have not been thrilled with the Jack antenna.
Bob

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes when I had a batwing the adapter ( wingman ) made a big difference in uhf channels what most stations are now on . The batwing with wingman is highly directional but picks up distant stations well if pointed properly
Bill