cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

275 hp Cummins

Vin5563
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 275 hp Cummins in a 38 ft 1998 Monaco Diplomat with 27K miles, is it possible or wise to install a chip to increase the HP like you can in most diesel pickups. Thanks John
8 REPLIES 8

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Vin5563"......There's a company called Source Engineering. They make a replacement engine fan for the Monaco rear radiator coaches. I'm not sure if they go back as far as your year model, but it adds/returns about 40 HP to your coach. The engine fan on yours could propel a small airplane. Source Engineering redesigned the fan to be more aerodynamic, yet it still cools as efficiently as yours. They're about $600.00. Most can be changed from the bedroom access cover.

I added one to my 400 ISL and could feel seat of the pants acceleration. On mine, it only added 25 HP. The smaller the engine, the faster it spins and the more HP you save by changing to their fan.

If you can chip yours (transmission capable of more HP) and add the fan, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same engine and an Allison 1000 tranny. The tranny will not handle any additional hp.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think first you need to find out what engine you have. Get the serial number and it would be a good idea to get the serial number off the transmission as well. Call Cummins with your serial number,most parts counters can give you the info but you need the serial number. Ask what engine do you have is it electronic or manual. The engine that Doge uses is not exactly the same engine as you have.
Hear is where to go for your transmission.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/my-allison/customer
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Blaster Man wrote:
First thing I'd check is if the transmission can handle the extra horse power and torque.

^^^^ this is a wise comment. There have been many diesel PU drivers who have blown a perfectly good transmission trying to pull their fivers faster by adding a chip or programmer. Not to mention engine damage.

Why does it need a chip?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Need more information as there is already speculation as to which engine and which transmission you have:

Assume this is the Cummins B engine with Allison MD3060 6 speed electronic transmission.

Please confirm.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I'd check is if the transmission can handle the extra horse power and torque.
2014 American Eagle

glamisorbust
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 5.9 275 cummins ISB in my '99 endeavor. I have been wondering the same thing.

I ran into a gentleman at a gas station a few months ago that had a 5.9 cummins in his truck and swore up and down you could put a programmer into an RV with the same engine. He called it a smarty JR and said it cost about $500.

He also said that the engine would go from a 275 hp to a 325 hp(or more) with just adding the programmer. Not sure if this is true, but might be worth buying if it actually works.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
98 is when the 8.3 became a ISC... Electronic controls, but it may have a 97 engine. They are easy to increase the HP by changing the fuel plate to a #10. I've ground the stock plate to a #10. Do a google search.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...