cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

395 North to Lake Tahoe

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to take about a three week vacation about twenty miles from Lake Tahoe at SnowFlower RV park. My question is that I would like to take 395 route from Kramer junction north to probably Reno and then back on 80 to the preserve. Was wondering how tough of a climb that is on my coach towing a Honda CRV. Total weight will be around 31K. Engine the 3126-E 330hp Caterpillar engine.

I remember many years ago doing it pulling a travel trailer with a pickup with a 454 chevy and it was a gas burner going up.

Guys that have made the trip through that route, how would my Cat engine do on that mountain.

I wanted to stop and fish some of those lakes and creeks around the Convict Lake and June Lake on the way up to SnowFlower.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision
20 REPLIES 20

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ive heard good things about Snowflower and Id like to try it myself, maybe next year. Ill look forward to your opinion about it. I may have to come by in the toad and check it out while up in the area....Have Fun and stay Cooler, I hope! 🙂
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
We'll be headed up that way in a few weeks also, staying at Ponderosa and then Tahoe Valley. I heard over on the TT Facebook page that the power at Snow Flower was out until Wednesday, construction dug up a Line or water flooded a vault. Guess that wont affect you though...just wanted to give you a heads up. Have a Great time!

I hope they have it all fixed. Never been there. I usually go to Lake of the springs. But other Rvers that are meeting us there wanted to try SnowFlower. So maybe we will like it. Got to get away from Barstow it is starting to get hot. lol.
2017 Buick Envision

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
We'll be headed up that way in a few weeks also, staying at Ponderosa and then Tahoe Valley. I heard over on the TT Facebook page that the power at Snow Flower was out until Wednesday, construction dug up a Line or water flooded a vault. Guess that wont affect you though...just wanted to give you a heads up. Have a Great time!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for the info. It has been a long time since I have not driven that route but I thought it would not be any problems. LOL! the climb up to Yosemite from Mantica with all the zig zagging was a bear and the temp went up some. So I was a little concerned about the climb from Bishop to Lee Vining. I will be stopping in some of those state camp grounds to do some fishing. Maybe Convict and June lake. I will just take my time getting up to Snowflower preserve.
2017 Buick Envision

keepingthelight
Explorer
Explorer
Ray,
We have done that a few times. Leaving Bishop there is a long 6% or better grade with four lanes and room to pull over. The 50 out of Carson City is about a ten mile 6% grade also. Take it easy turn off the dash AC and keep your rpm's up around 2200 and you should be fine.

Good luck;)
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken my 36' DP towing a 4,500lb Nissan Xterra from Reno to Carson City up route 50 to South Lake Tahoe a number of times with the same engine you have and it flew up the mountain. Never over heated. Carson City is at 5,000' and you will climb over 7,500' to the Lake which is at 6,200' .
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad