cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3M's Paint Defender

AZAmmochief
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used 3Ms Paint Defender on their MH? I'm fighting with the painted fiberglass roof bleeding down the windshield. Saw this product on the TV, thought it might work. Thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
AZAmmochief wrote:
Thanks for the input. We have an 07 National Sea Breeze. I believe you're right, it's the gel coat. The MH sits in the hot Arizona sun. Oh, I wash it about once a quarter, top to bottom with a product for gel coat. Cleans really well, no streaking, and looks great all year. Just looking for something a little extra to take care of the roof.

I can suggest that you consider using Zep High Traffic floor wax on the roof. You can get it at Lowes. Based on the recommendations of many others who have used it, I recently cleaned my fiberglass roof and put on three coats of the Zep. That was 6 months ago and it still looks great and I get no streaking on the sides of the coach. I am told the Zep will last a year.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Streaks coming down from the roof are caused by dirt and debris that settles on the roof as it sits, just like the stuff that settles on the roof of your car if it sits outside. There are many coatings that you can put on your roof, but NONE of them will prevent dirt for accumulating on your roof and causing streaks when it rains.
The front cap on my coach is fiberglass and it is painted and the heavy gauge aluminum roof is also painted. I keep them both waxed, but I still will get streaks from the accumulated debris and rain.
They do make an RV gutter that can be used to prevent water from draining down the sides or front of your coach and installing the gutter is not that difficult.

AZAmmochief
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. We have an 07 National Sea Breeze. I believe you're right, it's the gel coat. The MH sits in the hot Arizona sun. Oh, I wash it about once a quarter, top to bottom with a product for gel coat. Cleans really well, no streaking, and looks great all year. Just looking for something a little extra to take care of the roof.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
What RV do you have? I am not aware of any manufacturer that paints their roof. If it is not a rubber roof, it would likely be gel coated fiberglass. Either will streak your coach if they are not kept clean and/or have oxidized with age. Did a prior owner paint the roof?

If you are referring to a film made by 3M that you stick on your vehicle, IMO it is not worth the money and will look horrible when it ages and gets mold. I am in the process now of removing the 3M clean film from my coach and would never have it again.

Perhaps you are referring to something else.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA