cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 wheel down towing a small truck

Tidefan
Explorer
Explorer
I have not been on for awhile so excuse me if this topic has been covered lately. I am trying to find out if you can tow a small 90s model truck (preferably an S10) 5 speed all 4 wheels down? I have tried to find this info on the Motor Home Dinghy towing guide but it does not go beyond the 2000 model vehicles. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ronnie
8 REPLIES 8

ssia2485
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my F350 4 down and just remove the driveshaft and tie it up to the frame. It takes about 10 minutes at each end of the trip to pull and replace the driveshaft.

Nascarcruzin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info everyone . I have not bought one of these trucks yet, thus no owners manual to look at. I was just trying to find a small truck that I can tow all 4 down.

Ronnie & Rebecca

Soddy Daisy, TN
Full-timing since 2004
Check out our adventures:
North to Alaska 2011

Travel Journal Enter the password - 12345
2008 Alaskan adventure
2009 Northeast coast and Canadian Maritimes

1999 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40WDS
FMCA #388387

I_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that truck has a mitsubissi trans,if so overfill it with trans fluid otherwise you will burn out the 4th gear syncro,don't ask me how I know!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Ramair wrote:
If it is a standard transmission then it should be towable, if 4 wheel drive place transfer case in neutral. If auto trans then check.

That is NOT necessarily true! Not ALL manual transmission vehicles are towable four down OR on a dolly, and not ALL transfer cases with a NEUTRAL position are towable four down!
It has to do with the way the transmission or transfer case is lubricated. If it does not self-lubricate when being towed, it should NOT be towed.
SOME manual transmissions can be towed by installing a Street ELL in the fill plug hole, pointing up, which raises the level of the lubricant. The main (output) shaft is then bathed in lube, and it can be towed. However, this can cause leaks and drips. If you don't mind your vehicle "marking its territory" every time it is parked, this might work.
Some transfer cases that should not be towed can be modified by welding "splash vanes" on one of the sliders. These vanes throw the lube around so everything is bathed is oil. Some 4X4 vehicles with "lock-out" hubs will specify that the hubs be locked in for towing, some will state the hubs be unlocked, some will not specify.
The Owners Manual for the vehicle is usually the ultimate authority on towing.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

skipsor
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 S10 ZR2 4wd 5 speed truck and it is not towable without a drive shaft disconnect.The same year and model Blazer is towable.

The difference is the transfer case. My truck does not have a neutral position for some reason known only to GMC. The explanation given to me by a transmission guy who knows this stuff says the 5th gear does not lubricate properly and towing will destroy it.

If your truck has a neutral position on the transfer case you should be able to put the transfer case in neutral and go.

Before you do this check with a source that you believe to be knowledgeable about transmissions/transfer cases and be guided by his advice.

Don't take advice from some knucklehead on the internet and end up costing yourself money, time and frustration.

Do your research and then make a decision based on what you personally have found.

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a standard transmission then it should be towable, if 4 wheel drive place transfer case in neutral. If auto trans then check.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The best resource is the truck Owners Manual. If you don't have one, it may be available to download
If the truck is four wheel drive with a 2 speed transfer case with NEUTRAL, it might be towable.
If it is 2 wheel drive, it is probably not towable. Some will say they have done it without problems. However, THEY won't have to pay if the transmission burns up due to lack of lubrication.
Personally, if the manufacturer does not say "yes, it can be towed, IF you do this..." I would not do it.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
See if remcotowing.com has it.
They have an application chart where you can put year/make/model in to find how it can be towed and if any modification is needed.