cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

45 footer as first RV

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
A friend just bought his first RV, a 45 foot DP. It got me thinking how many people buy a rig this size as their first RV or is it usually an upgrade?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE
24 REPLIES 24

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unfortunately itโ€™s been too many upgrades. Iโ€™ve owned almost every type of RV over the last 50 years. Once we could use a rig 100+ days/year decided to switch from a 5er to a DP 17 years ago. Because of post on this site that 36โ€™ was the max for public campgrounds I made the mistake of buying a used 36โ€™ DP. Took less than 2 years to learn that 36โ€™ max is BS and itโ€™s STILL posted on here by those that do NOT own a big rig.

As you can see below Iโ€™ve gone to the max and during the summer we boondock in public CGs 80% of the time as finding sites big enough is not that hard. I would say 42โ€™ is ideal because it can be srunk to 40โ€™ if making reservations without being a problem getting in the 40โ€™ site.

In 12+ years I never hit a curb with my 42โ€™ but Iโ€™m still hitting a few with the 45โ€™ after 6 monthsโ€ฆ The learning curve. Unless you have been around large vehicles starting at 45 feet will be a challenge for a while unless you take a drinking coarse.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itโ€™s all about where you want to stay and where you want to go.

We met folks at a nice park in Maine with a few year old 45 Newell four slide, full timers.

Never had an RV before. Their friends did it, they thought they would like it, sold the house, bought the big coach, towed a Cadillac and were having the time of their life.

Went from RV Resort to RV Resort. More power to them.

We like the occasional state or county park. The longer you are the less spots you can find. Height is an issue as much as length.

I think starting too small is the bigger mistake but are you just going to weekend or maybe a week? Small probably ok.

Occasionally a week or two is a different rig than 2-3 months (or longer).
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Executive wrote:
Buying the biggest RV first. certainly will save you money in the long run. With the depreciation these beast suffer, you usually lose big money everytime you trade UP.....Dennis

I try to stress this 2 new RV'ers. THe sooner you know what you really want buy it straight out vs. taking baby steps.
My first TT was a 34' model, followed by a 40' 5'er.
I bought the dually truck 1st because I know I wanted a big fiver with lots of space.
If I were to go the clas A route it would be large as well.
Keep in mind there is nothing wrong with smaller units if that your style.
The key is to buy your final rig first vs. working your way towards the goal. I understand finances are a factor, but trading and upgrading will only cost more $$$.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to full time which I have no desire to do I would want a 45
Had a gas 34 and knew that was the size that worked for us so looked for something in that range in a DP. I think as time goes on we will end up in a small sprinter style.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody has their own preferences. Myself, a 36' gasser is as big as we want to go. We travel without a toad since that makes it so much easier to stop on the spur of the moment to see things. When we were dragging a car, we drove past things we wanted to see as we just didn't want to go through the hassle of finding a place to turn around, maybe have to unhook, maybe not find parking. Even Cracker Barrels became off limits because while they almost all have RV parking, it is just converted double-space car area. Long enough for the coach but not with a toad. They are also usually in congested areas that just don't have room to park anywhere else. We now rely on Uber or car rental for destination mobility. Areas without those resources almost all have either shuttle service or everything is close enough you can walk to the amenities.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On one Monaco forum that I belong to, there was a coach for sale years ago that ONLY had the mileage from the factory down to Florida. That single trip scared the new owners enough, while driving it, that they put the coach up for sale.
Hopefully the new owners of this 45' coach is experienced in driving large vehicles.
I also hope that he got one without the usual mechanical problems that can discourage a new owner from the RV lifestyle and can also destroy one's finances if they maxed out the budget when they bought the coach.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Executive wrote:
Buying the biggest RV first. certainly will save you money in the long run. With the depreciation these beast suffer, you usually lose big money everytime you trade UP.....Dennis

Of course this is assuming a huge rv is your ultimate goal, which it isn't for everyone. I wonder how many buy such a huge beast and dont use it because it's too much for them.

We don't know anything about the OP's friend. Maybe he is a retired bus or truck driver and is accustomed to driving large vehicles?
And, maybe there will be another 45' DP on the market in a few months.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:

Of course this is assuming a huge rv is your ultimate goal, which it isn't for everyone. I wonder how many buy such a huge beast and dont use it because it's too much for them.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I went just the opposite. small 23 ft trailer then a 25 then a 35 ft trailer. waiting until I win the lottery to get the 45 DP. it's been a long long wait

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG