cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

454 TBI Check Engine Light - uel Pump Relay

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I‘m in need of advice, help, suggestions.......

1995 Chevrolet 454 TBI engine with about 66,000 miles.

Recently when starting the engine it will give up and then immediate shut down. Then it will be very difficult to restart. Lots of cranking before it starts. When it does start there is a Check Engine Light. The next time I start the engine it starts up just fine. After several starts and travelling for a while the check Engine Light will go out.

I found a procedure to short out the OBD terminals and got a Code 54 to flash on the dashboard.

It seems this hard start situation happens when on the road travelling and starting a hot engine. Several times I removed the battery cable to clear the check Engine Light and it seems the engine will then start right
up.

The engine has always started easily and this problem had just been the last few months.

Any ideas???
11 REPLIES 11

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
It has now been over 5 months since replacing the fuel pump relay and Check Engine light has not returned since. So I'm now convinced the problem has been repaired. I think I got lucky on this one. Hope this info has been helpful to others. Again, thanks to all of you for your input and support.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the update. I was wondering how you made out. I have the same year chassis.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished replacing the fuel pump relay on the 1995 Chevrolet 454 TBI engine. I was able to buy a new relay for about $12 at NAPA. The part number is AR279SB. The most difficult part of the job was getting my hands into a rather confined space. Also, there was a plastic tab on the old relay that held the plug in place so it would not accidently disconnect from the relay....and I finally twisted it off because I was able to see how to release it. To secure the plug to the new relay I used a plastic wire tie.

The engine started up just fine but I will not know if this is the "fix" until I have run the motorhome on the road for an hour or so. If the staring problem returns I'll be sure to let you all know on this thread.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention a link that I found very helpful verifying the fuel pump relay location. It even included a drawing that was quite accurate for my situation. Click here for the link.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I'm one step closer to replacing the fuel pump relay. Yesterday I removed the engine dog house and searched for the location of the relay. At first I did not see it but then there it was all by itself located on the side firewall near where the gas pedal would be located on the other side of the wall. It was late in the day so I did not have the time or patience to replace the relay at this time. Will do the job later this week and report back with an update.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Bill/Diana wrote:
Hey fellas..... thanks for taking the time to read this posting and a special thanks sharing your knowledge. I'll going to try the fuel pump relay replacement to see what that does. Biggest problem will be finding where it is located on the engine since I have no idea what it looks like. Maybe the best way is to buy the new one then I know what it looks like.

Once I compete this I'll update this posting.

Thanks again.

LOL that's how I found mine.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
I think the fuel pump relay is the right place to start.. If it is located as Mike says above the left bank near the gas pedal under the doghouse, it would explain why it happens a lot on the road when the engine is hot.. It gets a lot of heat there and that may be helping to cause it to fail..

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Hey fellas..... thanks for taking the time to read this posting and a special thanks sharing your knowledge. I'll going to try the fuel pump relay replacement to see what that does. Biggest problem will be finding where it is located on the engine since I have no idea what it looks like. Maybe the best way is to buy the new one then I know what it looks like.

Once I compete this I'll update this posting.

Thanks again.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
My 1994 tbi was hard to start and changed the fuel pump relay and no more hard start. My relay was located under the dog house near the gad pedal. Only a fees bucks for a news one. Worth a shot.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
If it won't start give it a shot of starting fluid.. If it fires right up it is a fuel problem...

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
This says fuel pump relay low voltage.. http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/273660