cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

97 winabago adventurer won't shift down on grades

Highlanders
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone out there had this problem or is it just the way they are> I haven't had it long and it drives and shifts just fine, until I hit a steep uphill grade, then I slowly loose speed ,and it won't kick down until it hits 50 kilometres, and by then you've lost so much momentum it takes forever to get her back up to speed!!! It won't even let me shift it down manually, would appreciate your help , Trust me this is a problem up here in Canada as we have some beautiful country up here but it's uphill no matter which way you go!!:)
8 REPLIES 8

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a .pdf file on how to adjust your TV (Throttle Valve) cable:

Adjust RV cable
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
might try changing the channel from CNN to Fox that might do it. No seriously do as the guy says, and find a transmission shop
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Check the TV cable which is connected between the induction system and the transmission. Could have a loose mounting or a breakage.

TV cable? what the hell does the TV have to do with anything? Maybe he needs to check his satalite dish
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you need to find a transmission shop, or someone who knows about your transmission. Your description sounds like a valve body problem, or an electric valve is hanging up. When going up hill, try letting off the gas and manually shifting to a lower gear, and see if that works.
Wildmanbaker

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Check the TV cable which is connected between the induction system and the transmission. Could have a loose mounting or a breakage.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Highlanders
Explorer
Explorer
down hill it will shift down manually but for whatever reason going up it won't, that's why I'm a little confused!!!

Highlanders
Explorer
Explorer
No I shift it down manually and it does nothing , just plugs along until it finally shifts at 50 and not sooner!!!

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Can't you just put the shift lever into second and then it shifts itself? It should go into second and stay there, both uphill and down.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel