cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C filter cover

George32955
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry if this post appears twice. I'm new to the forum and not sure what I am doing. I posted this on the 17th originally and it didn't look like I had any responses. Looking at how many read and respond to others postings I'm guessing it didn't "go out" like I thought it did. Here is my issue:

I own a Class A 2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40X. The cover over the rear A/C filter is affixed to the "soft" interior ceiling material with 4 screws in the corners of the cover. Over the years of pulling to cover to clean the filter the screw "holes" in the soft ceiling material have worn to the point they will no longer take the screws. Longer screws proved fruitless. Larger diameter screws (like going from a #6 to a #8 for example) would require enlarging the holes in the cover and, even if this were initially successful, would eventually result in the same issue (worn holes). I tried applying Velcro squares (hooks) on the ceiling and wrapping corresponding strips (loops) around the corners of the cover. Although the adhesive on the back of the Velcro "loops" sticks pretty well to the cover (hard plastic) the adhesive backing on the Velcro "hooks" does not stick well or long to the soft ceiling material and the cover falls pulling the Velcro from the ceiling. I do not want to use contact cement in an attempt to make the Velcro stick to the ceiling better because that seems rather drastic at this point in time. Add to the is just doesn't look good. Has anyone out there come across this problem? Have you come up with a fix? Any ideas? Anchors of some kind?
3 REPLIES 3

George32955
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the excellent suggestions. I considered the toothpick idea but am hesitant to go that route.

1 - the ceiling is soft material. I'm not sure how the hard glued together toothpicks will work. I've used them in the worn screw holes in door frame hinges and that worked well. But this....
2 - and if it DID work I think it's just going to be a matter of time before I'm back to the same position, a worn screw hole.

I had not thought of removing the shininess off the ceiling and I do so miss the smell of MEK in the morning (GAG, ACKKK) but it's worth a shot. I think I will try that. The adhesive on the back of the (2"x2") Velcro pads is VERY strong. I was surprised when 4 of them would not hold the plastic cover. I did not prep the surface. That could be the answer.

I was thinking more in the line of an anchor (like a molly wall anchor). Something that would withstand the constant installation and removal of a crew. However, a molly has to be secured and kept from turning to allow the "legs" to compress and spread out. In dry wall that's not a problem. The little tabs on the face of the molly dig in and hold it. They are not going to "dig in" to the surface of this soft ceiling material enough to hold the molly in place. I've been through Home Depot and Lowes looking at all their anchors to find something that will work.

If I go the molly route and hold the anchor in place with thin nosed vicegrips...

Thoughts?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glue 2-3 toothpicks together..enough toothpicks to fill hole.
When glue dries push the toothpicks into each hole with some glue on toothpicks and break them off flush with ceiling. Just snap them off with pliers.
When glue dries....install ceiling grille using the original screws.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Very carefully clean the ceiling with nail polish remover, MEK or Naptha. Should take off the shiny coating the velcro wont stick to.