cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a few more about power

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
My 1999 Onan genet is not, as far as I can tell, an inverter generator. If that's the case, is there a problem if I plug in my laptop or iPad to "dirty" power? Has anyone used a simple automotive inverter just to provide a couple of "clean" outlets when dry-camping?

And finally, is the forward (car) battery recharged while the RV is plugged into shore power, as the rear (coach) battery is?

Thanks for your patience, y'all!

Rich
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10
8 REPLIES 8

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Paul,

The output from a good pure sine wave inverter is better than from the Onan.

pauldub wrote:
All of my electronics run happily off of my generator or my cheap inverter, including my prissy Apple products. Power from the Onan should be cleaner than any "pure" sine wave inverter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
All of my electronics run happily off of my generator or my cheap inverter, including my prissy Apple products. Power from the Onan should be cleaner than any "pure" sine wave inverter.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
The reference to an Apple laptop is entirely apposite. I hadn't known about MSW inverters until 5 minutes ago! I gather I'm better off plugging my tiptop directly into the Onan's AC output than I would be using a cheap inverter to convert the my 12V DC to AC? I'm also guessing that if I use a USB power cube plugged into the RV's 12V I'm also on safe ground for things like my phone and tablet?

R
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The Onan's output should be just fine. I wouldn't call it "dirty" power if it's operating properly. A "cheap" inverter normally means a modified sine wave inverter. These are what I would call "dirty" power since they don't put out a true sine wave like the gen. or the grid.
I know that Apple products can be damaged by MSW inverters. One of my employees plugged his laptop into one (despite my objection) and he had to buy a new laptop.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Onan produces a natural sine wave and will not harm your computers. Even if other devices cause deformation of the sine wave it will not harm the device because the energy is converted to low voltage DC in the brick.

And +1 for Trik-L-Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Google trik-l-start and add one so the chassis battery will charge when you are on shore power, generator power, or solar power.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
A non-inverter generator really just means it can only run at one speed in order to maintain 60 Hz. Sometimes they may be off a few hertz, but that won't really hurt anything. All of your newer electronics use a DC power supply anyways, and PCs will compensate for variations in AC power.

As for charging the starting battery - no, most RVs do not do this, however you could bridge the batteries by holding down the emergency-start switch then the starting battery will get a charge from shore power.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST