cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air filter inlet coupler ideas

marbee39
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2003 Mandalay 38A w a Cat 3126E pusher. It has 40000+ miles. Ive put maybe 2500 on since Ive owned it. I finally got the air cleaner out of the left rear compartment. (Nightmarish fun!). There is a plastic coupler on the inlet side that goes from 9.5" down to 6". This coupler is before the catch box that connects to the hose that runs up tge back of the coach. The coupler is mangled. I could probably duct tape the damn thing back on but would rather do this right and replace. Cat said its a motorhome manufactured item. Mandalay went out of biz years ago. Ideas??? I have a few pics but cant figure out how to post.
13 REPLIES 13

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Suspect that is a chassis maker supplied item.

So, if Freightliner, contact Gaffney.

Also like the metal reducer idea with use of metal tape.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also check with your local big diesel shop and they can order you one out of Silicon. Neighbor has what looks to be the same one. And your are right it was a bear to take out.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Assuming a new filter does not come with one, I would start with this 10x6" reducer and cut the 10" portion 5-6 times so a large hose clamp can fasten it to the 9.5" filter. I would probably use several smaller clamps instead of $9 for one. I would seal everything up with aluminum duct tape.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

marbee39
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@hitek Ill look that up

It is a throwaway filter but the new one doesnt come w that end piece.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"marbe39".....I can't tell from the pictures, but that looks like a disposable filter. The entire housing is tossed. A new one comes with that reduction piece installed.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
It is best to fix it right because it seems like you drive a lot on dirt roads the way that filter looks. That turbo charger will cost you a good penny if it starts sucking that dirt in if not fixed right.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Sure think it might be repairable.

I'd clean it up real well, then I'd cut a strip of Eternabond to wrap around the exterior making a brand new surface. That covers the crack of course. Might give 10 more years of life to the coupler. Who knows?

That's how I'd do it until I could find the right coupler.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't that part of the air cleaner? You need to buy a new air cleaner, that looks pretty dirty to me. Get on the internet and look for Racor air cleaners. You can get one for about $125.00
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

marbee39
Explorer
Explorer

Last photo is part #.
Thank you for the photo link!
Jim

marbee39
Explorer
Explorer

marbee39
Explorer
Explorer

marbee39
Explorer
Explorer

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link for photo posting.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/201045551/Forums/PhotoUpload/RV.NET-Photo-Upload.html

Hope this helps.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units