cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have an enclosed carport for their MH?

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
We have one of those metal carports that we had built with full sides and one closed end with a man door. It is 36x12x12. The only way we could have had it built with a garage type door would have been to go a lot larger which we did not have the budget or room for.

Anyway, I rigged up a 10x12 tarp using a rope and pulley system to raise and lower the tarp. It works, but is not ideal and exposes a good portion of the back of the MH for a few hours of morning sun. Not to mention the high desert wind and sand getting to it. I was curious if anyone here has come up with a good way to seal the opening more solidly. Here is a pic of ours now with the tarp showing its age.....

2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX 8,268 UVW 11,754 GVWR
2007 Ram 2500 QC SB 4x4 Smarty tuned 5.9 Cummins
B&W Turnover Ball & Andersen Ultimate
7 REPLIES 7

johnlanders
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Well we had a similar kind of carport though the height of your carport seems more than ours. We asked our carport designers metal buildings denver to build some metal framed gates for it. I feel it would be ideal as its a very sturdy structure and can stand the gusty winds of a desert.

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
Ok pic came up this time.
Check out a farm supply for your material.

By the way. Just had a relative move to Fallen a year ago from Las Vegas.
They got tired of the noise and crime.

That is why we moved here from the Sacramento area 9 years ago. We will never live in a metropolis again. 😉

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Ok pic came up this time.
Check out a farm supply for your material.

By the way. Just had a relative move to Fallon a year ago from Las Vegas.
They got tired of the noise and crime.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like you could make metal frames for your barn door idea from angle iron or square tubing. Bolt some heavy duty hinges to the frame and then bolt it to the metal frame of the carport. Then attach metal roofing/siding material to the metal frame which matches the material of your carport. This will cost some money but will last longer and look better than a wood frome with plywood covering, should be lighter weight and easier to swing too. Go to Reno and get your framing and covering material.

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why the pic doesn't show up rvten. It is there on my pc. Maybe click on this link... http://i61.tinypic.com/2yn0wtu.jpg

Anyway, the barn door idea sounds like the best way to go. Now, to figure out how to build it and where to get the metal in this small town....lol.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Picture does not come up.
Without a pic. I am guessing you could still have swing out doors like on a barn. Even sliding doors like I had on my old pole barn.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
see if you can fabricate a set of barn doors for it. We have something similar but not as HD as yours. I plan to close the end by adding a few more feet of the build and then cover with the black garden screen. Not real worried about the dust/dirt as it can be washed away before use.