cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Started to look into some water damage in the kitchen of our 83 Pace Arrow. The more I looked, the more I found. I have some pics of the damage so far. Anyone interested in following a rebuild thread?
If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.
8,452 REPLIES 8,452

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimin wrote:

Well, should it be done? Yes.
Do I want to? No.

Will I? Yeeaaaahhhhh....

Why? Cause I consider it a pain in the butt!

The old steel that was in there is rounded, and won't fit, because I made the hole a little smaller than it was.

I can rework the steel, but I am not looking forward to it. Then again, maybe it won't be as bad as I am dreading. Lol.

Doing that, and building the inside box is next.

Pics of floor coming later tonight!

The motorhome we use to pull one of the race trailers had a tire failure that destroyed the inner fender. Turns out that a fuel drum was just the right curvature so we cut a section out of an empty one and used it as a replacement. Kept one of the "ribs" for stiffness and just welded on the flat pieces for the sides. Maybe you will luck out as well. That MH has 16" wheels. Don't recall if you ever stated the size of yours.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
STBRetired wrote:
Are you going to line the "outside" portion of the wheel wells with metal of some sort? And are you going to make it semi-circular? I would think that metal, or maybe fiberglass, would be needed to protect the wheel wells from the cr@p kicked up when driving in inclement weather.

Well, should it be done? Yes.

Do I want to? No.

Will I? Yeeaaaahhhhh....

Why? Cause I consider it a pain in the butt!

The old steel that was in there is rounded, and won't fit, because I made the hole a little smaller than it was.

I can rework the steel, but I am not looking forward to it. Then again, maybe it won't be as bad as I am dreading. Lol.

Doing that, and building the inside box is next.

Pics of floor coming later tonight!

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
mike brez wrote:
fulltimin wrote:
YEEEEEE HAAAAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!!!

You hit lotto

Nope, don't play.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
STBRetired wrote:
Finished the floor??

Well, now ya just ruined it. lol. Yes.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Finished the floor??
2016 Ford Edge Sport

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimin wrote:

You hit lotto
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Are you going to line the "outside" portion of the wheel wells with metal of some sort? And are you going to make it semi-circular? I would think that metal, or maybe fiberglass, would be needed to protect the wheel wells from the cr@p kicked up when driving in inclement weather.
2016 Ford Edge Sport

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Well, kind of as expected today, my niece had a bunch of work for us, so we didn't get home early at all.

Waaaaaay after dark, and it was raining most of the day.

A normal year for us is about 35 inches or so of rain, and this year we have had about 61 inches, and the year isn't over yet! Lol.

As of now, we stand in second place for most rainfall ever for this area, and probably won't overtake first place, as we would have to have about an additional 10 inches of rain. Yuck.

So, needless to say, I just took the night off and took a break. Watched a few videos on YouTube, and propped my feet up. Maybe that should read, I propped my feet up and watched some YouTube videos. Better? Lol.

So, it's not supposed to rain tomorrow, so I should be able to get out there and do some more floor gluing and screwing into place. Yee Haw.

So, I should have a few pics as well. Now that I am getting the main floor put into place, it feels like I am actually getting somewhere.

Sometimes, even though you do a bunch of work, it just seems like you are getting nowhere, even though you actually are.

It would be great if I could get all 3 pieces of plywood screwed into place, and cut out the areas for the rear dually wheels.

We'll see how the day goes.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
wildmanbaker wrote:
Now your making progress! Nothing a nice secure, flat surface to stumble and fall on. LOL The in floor heating systems usually have an aluminum that plate that screws to the bottom of the subfloor, that the PEX snaps into. Then, an insulation blanket, similar too the Mylar bubble wrap insulation, but much heaver foil, is installed under the PEX system. These systems are usually fed by a Condensing Boiler, the also feeds the H&V system, (they admit that the radiant floor heating system will not heat the whole room evenly) the domestic hot water tank. These systems are usually installed in high end houses, and I imagine the system is cheaper to operate than a traditional system. Their are also system losses that would eat a small system up in short order.
Your on the way now, "Onward Through the Fogg".

Here is one guy's solution to putting pex in the floor. He put 2 x 3"s down on 16" centers, laid foil faced insulation in between them. Then he routed out space for the tubing, and as you can see here, and put some aluminum down that the pex laid into.

All of the pex was not laid into aluminum, but a bunch of it was. Then, he screwed plywood down on top of this. Carefully, of course!

Granted, more aluminum = more heat transfer. This procedure would probably not pass the standards set by whatever organization that sets them, but it apparently works, according to him.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Now your making progress! Nothing a nice secure, flat surface to stumble and fall on. LOL The in floor heating systems usually have an aluminum that plate that screws to the bottom of the subfloor, that the PEX snaps into. Then, an insulation blanket, similar too the Mylar bubble wrap insulation, but much heaver foil, is installed under the PEX system. These systems are usually fed by a Condensing Boiler, the also feeds the H&V system, (they admit that the radiant floor heating system will not heat the whole room evenly) the domestic hot water tank. These systems are usually installed in high end houses, and I imagine the system is cheaper to operate than a traditional system. Their are also system losses that would eat a small system up in short order.
Your on the way now, "Onward Through the Fogg".
Wildmanbaker

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
STBRetired wrote:
That's 3/4" that you screwed down on floor?

Yes it is. I figured if I end up choosing not to add any additional flooring on top, I wanted the floor to be good and solid.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
That's 3/4" that you screwed down on floor?
2016 Ford Edge Sport

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
So, this is what things look like now. We have 3 pieces of plywood left to pull up, glue up, and then screw them down.

The first one has a pair of red rectangles on them. Those are where the rear wheels are, and I need to cut those areas out. I would love to leave them flat, but that probably would not work well when hitting bumps out on the road.

That would be great, but I'll just have to work around them.

Next step is pull #1 up, then #2, then #3. I think I will do all three of them and then make the boxes for the wheel wells.

60% to go. Yay!

After gluing and screwing the plywood down, that really stiffened up the floor. That's a plus.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Then it was time to move all the "stuff" in the rear of the motor home, to the front. Like so.... Lol.

Looks horrible, but the stuff up front was there. It actually only took about 5 minutes to move the other stuff.