cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone using Lithium batteries? Comments?

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking at upgrading to Battleborn Lithium batteries with charger/inverter for superior boondocking. Tired of running generator/engine to recharge the 2-Optima blue AGM batteries in use now. According to Battleborn, this will be far superior than what I'm used to seeing in terms of consumption and the daily charging cycle. I use a Dish satellite for TV, lights, furnace, frig, toaster, coffee maker, etc. With their system, I could also run the microwave without using the generator.

Anyone out there have first-hand experience with Lithium?
33 REPLIES 33

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
All batteries do better with shallow discharges. Some can tolerate zero volts (but it is still not the best way for the batteries to live long and prosper).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Battleborn website and technicians have confirmed that no damage at all to these batteries. Supposed to be able to fully discharge 3000-5000 cycles and even then, the batteries will retain 80% of their original capacity. That said, they recommend around 11v to go ahead and charge back up.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
About running down lithium batteries, check owners manual to make sure it won't damage batteries/shorten useful life.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
UPDATE: Very impressed with this setup. Lowest I ever got the batteries during the day was 12.5v . Using the satellite TV does require I turn off the receiver or it draws power during the night. Using microwave was the best thing without generator power. Much less stress overall. Next trip I'm going to run system down below 12v and see how long it takes before a recharge. As for fishing, I'd have to lie and that, I cannot do!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, the BB site does have a 12-12 version on page 2 of their "shop".

Sterling has some explanation of all this for newer vehicles with REGEN systems where the alternator can get to higher voltages than the House batts can withstand. Very interesting if you have a newer C.

https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/BBW1260-60amp-sterling-power-probattc-batterytobatterycharger12vt...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
VA-Apraisr wrote:
They sent a 60amp Lithium battery charger for generator/shore power and a Sterling power battery to battery DC charger for chassis battery/alternator charging while driving. Itโ€™s also a surge protector for overload surge back feed to alternator. Both designed for use with their battery. Put my trust in their knowledge and expertise and hoping for the best. So far so good ??. And the fishing sucks but beautiful weather on the island. Heavier winds coming which should help fishing ??

The Battleborn Sterling DC-DC on their site is 24-12, so how can you use that in a MH? Do you have a 24v engine battery?

What is the scenario for a surge from House to Engine side?

BTW, their 60 amp "Li battery charger" is just a PD converter set to single voltage (not three stage) at 14.6 ish (seen different values for 14.x on that) and the advice seems to be to disconnect it from the Li after the Li is charged up--ie. Do not float at 14.x for very long.

Or is that wrong and yours does drop to 13.6ish for floating?

Suggest confirm output of that PD converter is not over the Battleborn limit of ISTR 14.6. ISTR some of those "Li PDs" are at 14.8

Hope you can clarify how all that actually works, as this is new tech that many of us are trying to understand. Thanks.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
They sent a 60amp Lithium battery charger for generator/shore power and a Sterling power battery to battery DC charger for chassis battery/alternator charging while driving. Itโ€™s also a surge protector for overload surge back feed to alternator. Both designed for use with their battery. Put my trust in their knowledge and expertise and hoping for the best. So far so good ??. And the fishing sucks but beautiful weather on the island. Heavier winds coming which should help fishing ??

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
pnichols wrote:

I guess I'm an Optima customer with a rare bird: I have an Optima battery that I occasionally use for backup. It's at least 15 years old and still charges well and holds a charge.

My point is they have lower capacity per unit of volume / foot print.

They are (or were) good batteries.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I fly RC model planes powered by Lithium Polymer batteries. They require special chargers that "balance charge" individual cells. These small battery packs are "limited life items" that need to be kept charged to a minimum of 3.7 volts per cell or they become damaged. During use, individual cell internal resistance gradually rises, causing a reduction in capacity and performance and swelling of cell packets ("puffing") requiring replacement. It is also necessary that model type battery packs need to be discharged down to a "storage" charge of around 3.8 volts per cell when not in use, or their useful life is shortened. I'm wondering how RV lipoly batteries are kept in good condition by "BMS" devices and need for monitoring and replacement.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tnx VA-, that sounds great. Don't forget to include a good fishing story. Even if you have to make one up. :B

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update: Ok, my brother installed the BattleBorn batteries (2) 100ahs and upgraded chargers (house and alternator) as well as a 3000wt inverter. We wired microwave directly to inverter so I donโ€™t have to use generator. Well, currently on Cape Lookout, NC for a 12-day fishing trip. What a FANTASTIC UPGRADE!! Voltage system starts at 13.6 and Iโ€™ve been here 2 days and have left the TV on for 12 hours each day, used microwave, lights and refrigerator and volts are now at 13.1.....havenโ€™t had to run engine or generator at all. House lights are LEDโ€™s and are so much brighter. If you do any boondocking, this setup is worth every penny!! And, no itโ€™s wasnโ€™t cheap $2650 but a big investment for my type of off the grid camping. And I donโ€™t watch TV for 12 hours....just testing the capacity of this system ??

Iโ€™ll follow up as the trip continues.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
VA-Apraisr,

Optima have about 40% less space for active plate material. About the only thing they are good at is vibration resistance. In all other cases, a more conventional design may be a better choice.

I guess I'm an Optima customer with a rare bird: I have an Optima battery that I occasionally use for backup. It's at least 15 years old and still charges well and holds a charge.

It's a Yellow Top Optima battery that is in Group 31 size (but only ~90 amp hours due to it's cylindrical cells) and was manufactured by the original European company. About 6 months after it was released, the U.S. military contracted with Optima to buy all production output of that model. I got one at an auto parts store just before that happened ... and it was $$$ even way back then. What a battery it's been!!!

By the way, does whoever now owns the Optima brand still offer Yellow Top batteries? Their AGM Yellow Top batteries were/are supposed to be for deep cycle use.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wish I had known wayyyy back when

You are not alone, many have been down that road. Only experience can teach us sometimes.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks! Wish I had known wayyyy back when.....I just know they SUCK even as a starting battery in my Jeep. Have to change under warranty way too many times.