cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Appropriate Tire Pressure?

rvnetter
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 25' Class B+ motorhome. It has 16", Load E tires rated at 80psi cold. Is it safe to run them anywhere between 65psi - 80psi cold? I currently have them inflated at 70 psi, we have an average load, with 2 adults.

Thanks for your input
Happy Trails to You!

The Tin Tent
2006 R-Vision Trail Lite
19 REPLIES 19

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most any truck stop has scales. You could also look for a closed highway DOT scale. I use them often, around here even closed the scales are still on.

rvnetter
Explorer
Explorer
Where can one go to get your unit weighed?
Happy Trails to You!

The Tin Tent
2006 R-Vision Trail Lite

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 24 foot Class C on the E450 chassis with Michelin Load Range E tires on it (maximum of 80 lbs. pressure - as printed on the sidewalls).

I have used 75-80 lbs. of pressure in the rear tires and 60-65 lbs. of pressure in the front tires for years, and it has always handled "like a van". Too much pressure in the front tires can cause the motorhome to feel like it's wandering when going down the road ... which wears you out steering it. 60-65 lbs. in the front for us has not caused this affect.

I like fairly high pressure in all the tires (without affecting steering) regardless of going over what weight charts might recommend - so as to keep sidewall flexing and the resulting heating of the tire material to a minimum for long tire life.

However, maximum or near-maximum tire pressure in the rear tires does make for a stiffer ride in the rear on an under-loaded E350 or under-loaded E450 Ford Class C chassis. To help with this I've replaced the stock rear shocks with specific after-market shock absorbers that were not available until several years after we had bought our motorhome.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Guessing could be harmful to not only the tires but your safety. I suggest As donn0128 has said, need to weigh it as your normal travel mode to determine what air pressures you need to have in your tires.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without actual 4 corner weights your only guessing. Guessing toward safety you should have them inflated to the maximum pressure as listed on the sidewalls.