cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are slideout lock bars important?

neoflyer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. Each of the front slideouts has an adjustable bar to be placed between the wall and one corner of the slideout trim so the slide won't move to the out position while underway. Is the bar really necessary? My fear is forgetting to remove it and hitting the slide extension switch then hearing a loud crack as the upper corner of the slide is destroyed.
33 REPLIES 33

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I've never used any of the slide locking bars on the RV's we've had with slides.

I keep the bar but unless I start having a problem I won't use it.

Too much of a chance of trying to close the slide with it installed. I'm dumber than I look.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The MFG. supplied them

That is reason enough to use them.

As suggested.....hang a tag, a bright red ribbon, a post it note on slide control
Make it part of your routine.

Use them.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
You better believe those bars are important. You really dont want that room opening up when you make a sudden turn. Do they open. Absolutely.
I suggest putting a tag on your room control reminding you to place the lock on or take it off.
I would never want to drive without those locks in place.
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
neoflyer wrote:
I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. Each of the front slideouts has an adjustable bar to be placed between the wall and one corner of the slideout trim so the slide won't move to the out position while underway. Is the bar really necessary? My fear is forgetting to remove it and hitting the slide extension switch then hearing a loud crack as the upper corner of the slide is destroyed.

I use the bars on mine.
Terry
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.