cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic tire inflator keeps pressure constant

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
This interesting and may be something to come in the future for RV's. Right now it appears that it can only be rented for large fleets but perhaps the technology will eventually make it's way to private usage at a reasonable cost. Automatic tire pump
12 REPLIES 12

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
I'd much rather have and auto-inflate-deflate system on our Jeep Rubicon for trail running. Push the button for 10 psi trail running and, back up to 28 for street running. That would be ultra cool. My RV tires keep air forever so, to me, a system like that would be way more valuable for the Jeep.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Considering the range of pressure caused by the changes in temperature, would it not keep deflating and re-inflating the tires, thereby introducing H2O into the tires?

My rule of thumb is that for every 10 deg F change, the pressure will increase by 1 psi. Is this really a good idea

Now if the system only kept the pressure from reducing beyond a certain set pressure and also gave a warning, I could see it being useful. So if there was a leak either slow or because of puncture, good idea, IMHO.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Aperia Technologies Halo Tire Inflator simply bolts to the wheel hubs of the drivers. They are not available for steer tires. Each unit is self contained and used a pendulum like mechanism to pump air into the standard valve stems. Aperia sells them for $299 each, and says they have sold thousands since introducing them in 2014. According to Aperia, the units have an expected maintenance-free life of over 500,000 miles or about 10 years.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder what maintenance those things require?
Rotating seal working with 60-100 psi of dry air doesn't sound like lasting device.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I remember the Humvee system that they use to inflate or deflate the tires based on the terrain. It does use an on board compressor and is a little more complicated.

This is really old technology. The WWII floating 6x6 vehicles (DUCs) had this feature. They could deflate or inflate the tires from the drivers seat to accommodate the terrain, especially when coming out of the water onto a beach.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When on Mexican vacations 12 years ago, I noticed all interstate buses had those, or similar.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds good if they are well tested and big rig type. If some RV place makes a cheapie, I'd pass.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:
A rotating hub air seal sounds interesting but it could also be a easy failure point loosing all of your 80lb plus air pressure...

As long as it has been being used now must have a pretty good reliability rate.

Roy Ken

There is already rotating seal systems in sue bu this "Halo" system does not use that. Interesting, it is.. not sure how well it will work but on paper it looks very interesting..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I remember the Humvee system that they use to inflate or deflate the tires based on the terrain. It does use an on board compressor and is a little more complicated.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its not something new, Seen it on big rig trailers, the government had it on some of the heavy duty missile trailers,and GM had it on some Hum Vs. Neighbor showed it to me on his hummer. Different design not a pump. Air went to the axle /hub and pin holes, in the hub let air into the wheel assy. This seems to be a lot better system.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
They are working on a version for cars and light duty trucks so it may be on the market at some point in the future. It may also end up going the way of the TPMS which are standard on all new cars. If the government gets involved it may be mandated on all vehicles as a safety measure and as an economy factor for better fuel mileage with properly inflated tires.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
A rotating hub air seal sounds interesting but it could also be a easy failure point loosing all of your 80lb plus air pressure...

As long as it has been being used now must have a pretty good reliability rate.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS