cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxillary lights or wired to toad

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering using wired or wireless lights temporarily mounted on smart car instead of wiring in to the diode, Anyone with advice?
14 REPLIES 14

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Blue ox makes a kit that is both hard wired and yet independent of your vehicle's wiring. It runs from the port on your MH to an additional set of bulbs mounted in the housing in your car's brake lights. There is no interference with diodes and it's directly wired and power is supplied by the port on the rear of the MH. I like it.

blue ox wiring kit
2013 ACE 29.2

Vectra930
Explorer
Explorer
I had my previous jeep hard wired but light was small,down low and not vert bright. When I got my new toad I bot a used TowMate wireless light on ebay to try them out and they work great and are easy to use.

Just plug transmitter into receiver on coach and switch light bar on and put on roof of toad. Very bright and visible. You do nothing to your daily driver. Will never go back to wired lights.
2003 Foretravel U320
2014 SRX

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
When I wired our RAV4, instead of routing wires all the way to the back, I picked up the tail, directional, and brake light wiring behind the driver's side kick panel. Tying into the LED lighting using diode packs worked fine.

behind that kick panel is where my connector was located when I added a trailer hookup on my HIghlander.
bumpy

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know the diode packs work well. That is the recommendation for the Smart Car.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I wired our RAV4, instead of routing wires all the way to the back, I picked up the tail, directional, and brake light wiring behind the driver's side kick panel. Tying into the LED lighting using diode packs worked fine.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Goldencrazy"......Go to Etrailer and look at their wiring kits. They have some nice kits that have all the diodes in one box, all prewired. They make for a very nice setup, even with the new smaller wiring. I just installed one of their kits in my 2016 GMC Canyon. It was very easy and worked great.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't mess with altering the factory wiring on the toad. I might consider adding bulbs to the existing fixtures if there is room however.

bumpy

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
I used a Hopkins harness made for the Wrangler. Plug n Play.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Some of the newer led light systems in cars are very difficult to hook into without creating problems. I'd get a professional/dealer opinion first.

X-2
My dealer was very emphatic that if I wired through the truck wiring and there was any problem with the electrical system, that the warranty was void. Make sure you do not have a warranty problem before you cut a factory wire, NOT after.

I went the wireless route and have been very satisfied with the operation. I change batteries yearly, even though they are still working fine.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using LED boat trailer lights which I attach with Velcro and wire ties. This has worked for the last 140,000 miles +-.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some of the newer led light systems in cars are very difficult to hook into without creating problems. I'd get a professional/dealer opinion first.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. That was my thought as well but thought this is the time to consider all the options. Install is next week.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I like everything hard wired so there is less chance of break down, loss of signal, or batteries issues. I agree with Mr.Mark.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Bob,

Since you are most likely going to keep this new Smart Car for a while like you have with your other, why go temporary?

I would get it wired normally and forget about it.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins