Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B+ motorhomes

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Trail Lite B+ 211s with 8.1 Chevy
engine. This is my fifth motorhome (others range
from an old 20' Vagabond, and three Winnegagos, from 19 to 32'. This vehicle is fantastic. I am
using it as a mobile office (and sneaking in a fun
journey from time to time). It gets about 9.5mpg
and I believe I could pull a bus behind it if I wanted! I paid low $40's which is about what I had expected to pay for a five or six year old Chinook with a nicer interior, but fewer features
(slide). I am delighted thus far.
Dan
2006 Lexington 235S; 6.8L Ford E450,
2005 30RLS Outback Sydney Edition,
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S
3,721 REPLIES 3,721

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Cowboy, I teach technology, and I used a variety of sources, one is the Winnebago factory video. From what I can see in the video, the live factory tour must be great!
Also, my wife's cousin lives in Mountain View. Ever been there?? Its in Stone County.
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

:W

Cowboy_66
Explorer
Explorer
Gene in NE- Yes the Born Free is a great unit one of the people in the Village has one and is very happy with it, just a little out of out price range. I have heard that the Winnebago factory gives a good tour, I like to see how things are built. We lived in DeWitt IA. for years and have never been to the Winnebago factory just to close I gess. We just got a B+ Lexington 255DS last summer and we like it very well. It works great for getting in to the state parks in our part of AR. we have many pretty parks with in about 100 miles. Cant wate to start camping again.
Retired we had been fulltime in the RV for three years but have now put down roots in the great state of AR.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cowboy 66 - I also wish I knew what happened to Daniel C. He really contributed a lot to this thread. You are correct, there has not been any "bad mouthing" in this thread and very specific helpful hints have been provided.

TonyTiger - Good luck in your choice and as others have said do not forget about us. We really like our current unit, but are always looking at our next unit.

Gary - The link now works to your pictures. Thanks for all your help.

For general information on the so called B+ units, we took a short trip to North Central Iowa this past week and touched the "Born Free" model built for two. Very nice people to deal with. I would call it a very well built solid unit. I would say that the cost is justified.

Then we travelled to the Winnebago factory and were able to see the prototype model of the "VIEW". The Lichtsinn Motors website shows a picture of the VIEW, the prototype we saw was painted "VUE". Now there is a unit that will sell. They are the only manufacture that has been able to get a sprinter chassis in a cut away. It is definitely a class "C minus" with a diesel. Nicely done interior with a floor plan similar to some of the Trail-Lite or Gulfstream BT cruiser. Has a slide out couch behind the driver across from the dinette. The kitchen is behind the slide out "jack knife" couch with a dry bath across the back. Entry to the coach right behind the passenger front seat. They hope to have at the dealers later this summer.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Cowboy_66
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading this thread from the start and it has the best people on it I have ever seen. No smart coments about anyone you all are their to give help and good information. That speaks well about every one on hear.
I have a B+ and just love it we down sized from full timing in a 34ft 5w and this is working out great now that we have put down roots again.
What ever hapened to Daniel C he seamed to be very nice.
Gene
Retired we had been fulltime in the RV for three years but have now put down roots in the great state of AR.

TonyTiger
Explorer
Explorer
kyotesue-
I just remembered, we also had a leak in the Starflyte (1998). The leak was at the front of the rear driver's side window. We think the window frame was filling with water from rain then dripping into the coach. I tried scraping the bottom of the frame and drilling an extra drain hole on the outside but nothing seemed to fix it until I removed all of the caulk from the window and resealed it.

CHEEZE1 and Dario- Don't worry I'll stay in touch. Dealers really can make or break the deal. I think the one I found is better than my previous one. I liked my previous salesman but their service department! Oh my.
Trail Lite 235S Gone; Four Winds Siesta
Pennsylvania
Me, the wife and the boys (2 Border Collies)

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats Tony, I was considering that vehicle too, but didn't like the dealer. Anyway, I'm like Dario with my 213. That being said, there's no reason for you to leave!!! I would love to hear more about your new rig, especially since I was considering it!
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

B-Plus
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations Tony, hope that you enjoy your Four Winds Siesta. I also considered another RV for this year because we thought we wanted a full time bed set-up. It came down to how we use ours now and decided that keeping the size we have now , plus the B+ 225 has worked out great. We only use the bed about 20% of the time and the rest we use it as a regular vehicle. I am still getting 12-13 MPG average and because of its size itโ€™s a get into vehicle and drive, rather than having to plan on taking it because if its size. Maybe if we decide to do more Rving in the future rather than how we use it now I may decide to start looking again (which I dread) my Trail-lite has really treated me well and I love the Chev 6.0 engine.
Good luck with your new RV and do keep in touch!

Dario
2003 6.0 Chev Trail-lite B-Plus 225
2007 6.0 Chev 170 Roadtrek ( Daily Driver )
1976 Corvette

kyotesue
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 2002 Dynamax Starflyte, our first motorhome, and am looking for anyone who might have a similar rig and points and tips about what we need to know. I am reading voraciously here on the forums, but thought I would jump in with some specifics.

One specific...anyone have any trouble with leaks with these rigs? We noticed some mold under the mattress, but will have to track it down. Helped to get the price down considerably, so we hope we haven't made a mistake here! Whew.
2002 Dynamax StarFlyte 21 feet
Ford 350 V10
Tent campers new to RVing so this is our first rig

TonyTiger
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, it looks like I'll be leaving the Trail Lite forum. We ordered a new Four Winds Siesta 24BB with a double slide out. It's 26' and has the same height as the current 235S from Trail Lite.

I've enjoyed the comraderie and help that everyone provides so freely. Especially Gene, Gary, Dario and Captain Jack. If I missed someone I apologize. I'll probably stop back once in a while to see if the community has stayed alive.

Here's a toast to Daniel C. for starting this thread. God bless!
Trail Lite 235S Gone; Four Winds Siesta
Pennsylvania
Me, the wife and the boys (2 Border Collies)

Gary_Swanson
Explorer
Explorer
Gene -- try this link to my pix, and click the BLUE View Photos button under the picture. Hope it works; this is annoying!

www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=xmjvgr.a2slbkd3&x=0&y=-oz7qgi
Gary
2003 Trail-Lite B+ 211S on
2003 Chevy 6.0 liter V-8

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info Gary. Because of my initial fresh tank leak, I have an intimate aquaintance with my outside walls!
Gene, been here all along, but this thread does get quiet sometimes.
I loved the winter camping. It got down to 12 one nite and the furnace kept us nice and warm. We traveled fully 'unwinterized' and the only problem I had was with frozen dump valves. I plan to get those heaters from http://www.ultraheat.com/
to stay ahead of that problem from now on. My pups love the cold, so the walks in the snowy woods adjoining the campground were appreciated by all of us.
When we hit the snowy area, my wife was driving, and it was our first time with the 213 on snow. I have to say I was very impressed. We had to cross a center divider with deep snow, and with an incline against us, and the big baby happily motored right thru!!
We are planning our Easter trip now, just trying to figure where, since we want to go warmer. (Like the 18 degree trip to Maryland!)
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary Swanson โ€“ Tried your web address for photos and was greeted with the Amazon login screen. Guess I will have to create a user I.D. and password to get past that welcome screen.

As for the mileage, I was rather proud of that result as well. I keep a diary and a mileage/maintenance record. Part of the high mileage figure is because of a nice tail wind several times and dropping from an elevation of 5,000โ€™ + to just over 900โ€™. Also had very cool and a little humid weather - no air conditioner load. Had a 700-mile segment that we got over 15mpg. I do usually run about 5 mph below the speed limit โ€“ trying to not hold up traffic, but slow enough to do some relaxing sight seeing. The 5.7 might be a little more fuel-efficient than the 6.0, but lacks some of the power. I normally expect mileage to be 11.5 to 12.

Cheese1 โ€“ Welcome back, what did you think of cold weather camping? We drove fully winterized meaning empty tanks. That helped the mileage as well. Carried a gallon milk jug sitting in the sink for hand washing and one in the bathroom for emergency flushes. Liked the quiet ride with no A/C or open windows. We were impressed how the cab heat on low fan speed warmed the coach to a pleasant 70 degrees when the outdoors was in the teens.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Gary_Swanson
Explorer
Explorer
Cheese1 -- I bought the "kit" at Camping World and believe it's made by Phoenix. I coaxed R-Vision to fax me the roof and both side wall blue prints of the rig to make sure I knew in advance what I was cutting into. Used that info in locating the roof ribs for installing the Yakima box as well as the outside shower.

Gene -- I routinely get 11+ MPG driving at and above the speed limit (80 in a 75 zone is comfortable). What speeds and driving styles are you holding to to get such incredible mileage?
Gary
2003 Chevy 6.0 liter V-8

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Gene, that is quite trip!! AND your gas mileage is great!!! That's more than my Land Cruiser would have done, and none of the comfort.

Gary, I assume (tough word) that you installed your own outside shower? Since we have only camped twice with our 213 and in cold weather, we haven't had a need for an outside shower yet, but I'm thinking that time might come. Where did you get the setup? Was it a kit?
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

Gary_Swanson
Explorer
Explorer
Gene, Ciaran and others who might be interested in my remodeling escapades:

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=789724070103&page=1&sort_order=0

Gene reported that the link was dead, but as of now this one is indeed alive. BTW, I have done a few more things that I hope to share with you all once we get done with our "big" house plans.
Gary
2003 Chevy 6.0 liter V-8