Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B+ motorhomes

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Trail Lite B+ 211s with 8.1 Chevy
engine. This is my fifth motorhome (others range
from an old 20' Vagabond, and three Winnegagos, from 19 to 32'. This vehicle is fantastic. I am
using it as a mobile office (and sneaking in a fun
journey from time to time). It gets about 9.5mpg
and I believe I could pull a bus behind it if I wanted! I paid low $40's which is about what I had expected to pay for a five or six year old Chinook with a nicer interior, but fewer features
(slide). I am delighted thus far.
Dan
2006 Lexington 235S; 6.8L Ford E450,
2005 30RLS Outback Sydney Edition,
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S
3,721 REPLIES 3,721

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input

We have been using 'Thetford Campa Chem' which we get from walmart in six-packs of little 8 oz. bottles. They recommend 1 8 oz. bottle and 1 gallon of water per 40 gallon tank. Product is Methyl Alcohol and Formaldehyde.

After each RV outing and when tanks are dumped, we add the bottle of chem and the gallon or two of water, and that is how the unit sits for 3 or 4 weeks with no real odor problems when we load up and start out.

Like I mentioned, the problem seems to be associated with taking a drive with some blackwater in the tank.

Could it be that there is dried sludge on tank walls that is 'stink-reactivated' when the s;oshing rewets the walls?

If this easy answer is wrong, and we have a venting problem, can anyone briefly say how the vent piping system is setup in the blackwater tank, and how one would easily chech it to see if it is working?

On this matter, if a proper functioning vent system means you would not be having any smell problems, then why would anyone bother to use chemicals anyway?
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen those before. I like your use of quick connectors. Is that neoprene hose?
Burl, Sounds like there is a venting problem. I've actually had blackwater in there for an extended time, and never an odor. Wish I could remember which chemical I use...
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

:W

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the vent tube is clear. and if you don't have a "Quickie Flush" you might want to install one so you can give the tank a good flush. http://www.myroadtrek.homestead.com/QuickieFlush.html

agoaliemom
Explorer
Explorer
In our other RVs, that has been a very common problem. My kids used to have a fit when someone walked back to use the bathroom because they knew what would happen later. I'll be interested to see what people have to say about it.

What kind of chemicals are you using? I found that the natural, formaldehyde-free ones didn't work nearly as well as the toxic, formaldehyde ones.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All

We've taken our 213 B+ about once a month over the past few months for 2-4 nights in parks or campgrounds within a few hours of home (MS, AL, FL).

So far this winter, no problem with freezes, and we have done nothing w/r winterizing (but I do keep an apprehensive eye on the five day forecast!)

On our recent trip to Wiggins, MS, we noticed something that has come up a few times before and in, I think, a similar manner. After taking a side trip to look at a nearby state park in Hattesburg (a 1 hour round trip), and with some blackwater in the tank from 24 hours of usage, perhaps 15 gallons at most, upon returning and flushing the toilet, a stromg sewer odor was released into the coach. After opening the fan vent in the bathroom, and with a little time passing, the problem goes away and flushes result in no further odor emissions.

May I have some venting problem/blockage, or is it merely that the sloshing creates more odor than the vent can handle?

Any ideas? Has anyone else had something similar?
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Cowboy. I don't think we were going much further at all. Now, does anyone have an idea for my "still existing' leak? I get wetness in the rug in the coach area directly in front of the dinette on my 213. The dealer that had it on consignment claimed they fixed it, but after some heavy rain at home, it came back. Should I remove those trim panels in the front of the coach? Will that give me a view of the 'water trail'?
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

Cowboy_66
Explorer
Explorer
Rodger
You are doing just fine. Keep up the good work, You don't find many bad comments in this thread. All of the posters are hear to pass on good information and very helpfull.
Retired we had been fulltime in the RV for three years but have now put down roots in the great state of AR.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I understand.:)
I just didn't want it to get to far off into the RV structure building area. Even if it is a structure for a B+, it's not the same as discussing a B+.

This a tough thread to moderate, but I'm trying.:B

Rodger

Cowboy_66
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry Rodger we were just talking about working on our B+ until we can go camping again.
Retired we had been fulltime in the RV for three years but have now put down roots in the great state of AR.

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Rodger, this a discussion of the trials and tribulations of storing a B+? Or did I miss something??
๐Ÿ™‚
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
See I do read this thread.:B Lets get back to the topic of "B+ motorhomes"

Thanks

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Out here in the midwest, we are lucky. I managed to buy a storage building in a small town that has room for my unit indoors and a little extra space I rent out to boats and trailers. Makes the cost of my storage reasonable. The cost of the building should be recouped upon sale - if I bought right.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Cowboy_66
Explorer
Explorer
Cheeze1
The building inspector hear built it for his retirement and it is working out well for him every thing is full. Looks like he will have it paid off by the time he is retired, good move on his part. I sure am ready to be out camping again.

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Cowboy, inside storage? That is nice. I would love that, and the price is right. I tried around here, but all the doors are 10' max.
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

Cowboy_66
Explorer
Explorer
I know what you guys are saying I like to go down and just look things over and sit and think about what to do next. We keep ours at a inside storage each unit is in a separate area for $950.00 a year. I am looking for a front bumper that will fit a Ford E450 for my next project.