Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B+ motorhomes

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Trail Lite B+ 211s with 8.1 Chevy
engine. This is my fifth motorhome (others range
from an old 20' Vagabond, and three Winnegagos, from 19 to 32'. This vehicle is fantastic. I am
using it as a mobile office (and sneaking in a fun
journey from time to time). It gets about 9.5mpg
and I believe I could pull a bus behind it if I wanted! I paid low $40's which is about what I had expected to pay for a five or six year old Chinook with a nicer interior, but fewer features
(slide). I am delighted thus far.
Dan
2006 Lexington 235S; 6.8L Ford E450,
2005 30RLS Outback Sydney Edition,
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S
3,721 REPLIES 3,721

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cheeze - Great looking finished job. Really opened up some space. I have subscriped to this topic to make it easier to see if there are any new postings. I have checked daily and watched, but stayed out of the chatter. I am impressed with the appearance of the cushions. I see the same fabric around the windows. I missed any discussion on how you went about cutting the cushions to size and covering with fabric etc. - sent it out or did it yourself? Have you considered one of those round chrome posts for setting up the table top?
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
I can't tell you how much I appreciate the complements. I've never had a hot rod and even tho' my coach has 300 hp, it's no stormer, but it has evolved into my project "car/toy". One great thing about this project and change was the overall cost. The biggest expense was $140 for the carpet and about $120 for hinges. If the whole thing cost more than $600 I would be surprised. Comparing that to the alternative purchase of a new RV, it's awfully cheap.
I do love this forum.
๐Ÿ™‚
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

:W

markopolo
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic work Cheeze! Looks like you've got what you wanted / envisioned. Very impressive.
1997 Custom Van - GMC 6.5l Turbo diesel
My Profile
My Website

birdbybird
Explorer
Explorer
Burl and Cheeze - You both do nice work! Thanks for the wonderful pixs.

Tina and the traveling furry ones
Christine

22ft BT Gulfstream MH
Chev 350 engine
and the four furry companions:Herschel, Stuart, Blondie and Remi

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Martha likes all your work...I am in trouble.

I linked some of your pics to a very related thread in the B Forum

B or B+, what's best for your money?

I will be studying your work...Thanks

fixed a typo
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Burl,
The cushions of the sofa have 2 velcro pads that correspond with the ones on the extensions. They grip strong, probably stronger than the adhesive!! A couple of staples would help that on the wood part. The main cushions only have one each, mainly 'cause I ran out of velcro. They stay in place real well for now.
The expandable sofa idea was trashed because the seatback + angle ate up about 10" of space, and the frame was too restrictive IMO to route wiring, etc. However the old sofa seat is the bed on the old dinette side. The frame easily disassembled and all we had to do was cut the flap that attached the seatback to the base.
Cab seats each come out easily with 4 bolts, but unplug what I guess is the seatbelt connection wire before you lift the dr. seat out. I wanted to do one piece, but it would have been a nightmare. The cab needs some 'prodding' to fit into and under the doghouse and other areas. I made a new transition from the cab to the coach. It's approx. 3 1/2" wide, 1.5" at it's thick end and 1/2" at the thin end of the taper. I also trimmed it to fit(and not put pressure on) the wire channel that goes to (then under) the coach from the driver's side. After the cab was done, I cut the piece for the coach. That area has regular rug pad, only in the carpeted area. It, and the rug is held down by regular carpet style crown staples. Where the 2 rugs join, (you won't believe this) I used my dog's clippers to thin the pile on both to about 1/4" or less, like a lap joint. I then dampened the coach end, folded it over and used 1" staples to hold it down. Seems to be fine, and feels....great!
There is no real shelf in the tv space. When stored, the tv lays on the front 'cradle' and on a padded 4" shelf in the front end of the box. Its all held in place by small but very aggressive bungee cords. This is what allows me to stuff 2 fullsize pillows into the open area in there.
I'll be installing the pleated shower door today. Then we have to work out our eating surface. I am thinking of re-using the old dinette table, but cutting it so it fits in the wardrobe in the rear of the coach, with folding legs.
I need to replace my hastily removed decorative strip around the living area. Dumb mistake, cause it's crazy hard to find anything like it, and I'm not referring to the design, the material itself!
In the spring I will remove the weathering-away TrailLite emblem on the top front, and move the so-called fog lites (cheapos) to the rear to aid in backing and set up at night.
That's all I can think of now. I do wish all the bench hinges were the spring loaded type, but that was my own fault, and it's fine.
Now, about a built-in vacuum system......
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
I am very impressed. The open space is fantastic.

How will the cushions of the sofa fold out 'stick' to their base when set up? I thought the dinette side was to be the expanda-sofa.

Did you have to remove cab seats to lay carpet, and is it one piece coach thru cab? Is there backing? How is it stuck to floor?

As I ponder these, I am sure I will get more questions. Do you see new mods after doing this?

I am not clearly seeing just hoe the empty TV shelf space is made.

I like the family connection.

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bud! I sent you an email a month ago when I was still in the planning stage, you didn't respond, I started to worry a bit lately.
Dad would have had a ball working on this with me. Would have kept us up nites figuring and fooling around. I guess I do so much of this stuff because of him...and my Uncle Sid, his younger brother by 2 years and my favorite uncle.
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

B-Plus
Explorer
Explorer
Just happen to be lurking here Chase, you did a great job! I can see where it's in your blood , your Dad being in that trade must have shown you a few tricks!.
2003 6.0 Chev Trail-lite B-Plus 225
2007 6.0 Chev 170 Roadtrek ( Daily Driver )
1976 Corvette

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok gang, the pix you have been waiting for! FYI, I went out for a shakedown cruise today, actually to get propane-I was a little too liberal with the furnace when I first got it home! I am not real happy with the overall pix. They don't do the beautiful rug justice. Anyway, it is MUCH quieter and no surprises so far. I should add a bit of water to the tank just to check.:S

http://s434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/Cheeze1947/RV%20Plan/Box%20Construction/

http://s434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/Cheeze1947/RV%20Plan/Living%20Area%20Complete/

BirdbyBird, this is for you:

http://s434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/Cheeze1947/RV%20Plan/TV%20Cabinet/

Here are a couple of pix:

Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Burl, you don't have to be so formal. Just call me Cheeze...
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

birdbybird
Explorer
Explorer
You notice that the "navigator" doesn't use a kennel! I trust the Golden... With four dogs, I feel safer with most of them traveling in crates....two of them are used to it anyway from dog show travels! I especially like knowing that they are safe in crates when I take them out to potty (usually two at a time). I have nightmares about the possibility that one would accidentally get out without a leash at a rest area or other unsafe road situation.

Tina
Christine

22ft BT Gulfstream MH
Chev 350 engine

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
We got our B+ just to travel w/ two dogs, then Katrina made 4. One just died, so now three shelter mutts!

When we got the two young ones after Katrina, we had two large soft kennels that took up the dinette-made-to-a-bed during the traveling part of an outing. At night the kennels were folded and set between the dinette and rear of the drivers seat. We don't need the kennels now that the dogs are settled down and traveling well, so they are stored under the sofa in case we need an emergency motel with big rules.

Dogs make good people.

Martha and I are 5'11" and 6'3", so the kind of space Cheeze1 is showing us is very enticing. It's like having a slide w/o the weight penalty.

birdbybird
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the encouragement! And some say I'm just crazy :)..... Too cold for pics tonight but you make me feel guilty for not offering. Really haven't added anything at this time, just removed the left dinette bench (from behind the Golden Ret's/navigator's chair) and the large dinette table. I have two English Cocker sized wire crates stacked lengthwise. Next I have a small Havenesse size crate under a set of storage racks I found sitting around (as in already paid for). I have a small fold-able table next to the remaining bench that can be set up in a moment to use with the computer or a plate of food....if the lap isn't enough! I like the rack because it is easy to throw the extra shoes there and easy to retrieve.... I like having a wide walkway so that the dogs and I can step by each other safely. Did I mention that I'm 5'9" with size 12 shoes? I also want to open it up wide enough that the daughter (who knows how to camp in small hiker's tents...) will acknowledge that the dry flat floor with a nice thick foam pad is a nice alternative for sleeping should she want to travel with her ma. That is if she doesn't want that future neat sleeping loft across the front!!!!

Thanks

Tina
Christine

22ft BT Gulfstream MH
Chev 350 engine

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
pix, pix, pix!