Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup camera failure

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Folks,
We have acquired a 2012 Holiday Rambler, Augusta, B+, with 8,000 miles on the odometer, recently purchased from a friend’s estate.
The rig is like new, but the backup/rear view camera has just decided to go dark. The multi-function dash display seems to work fine. But, I’m no no longer getting an image from the camera.
The RV has seen very little use over the past three years. Is it possible that the camera’s electrical connections are corroded? Or, is there a fuse that I should try to find?

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Best,
Jack
20 REPLIES 20

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are plenty of other wires. 😞
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s the conundrum. If I rewire the camera,…even if I manage to locate the other end of the cable and splice the wires, what’s to prevent the little rodent #¥<€&$ from chewing it again? And, yes, I’ve tried every rodent cure out there; dryer sheets, all types of smelly oils, ditto for soaps, original D-Con (until the wonderful people at PETA had it outlawed), every (pretty much useless) D-Con substitute, bowls of anti-freeze, traps and pest repellent expanding foam to seal openings. Nothing has worked to date. So, now I have a disabled generator AND a dead rear view camera.

Might it not be better to install a wireless camera system? Yes, it’s another expense. But, maybe the reduced aggravation factor makes it worth it? Of course, that doesn’t solve the generator problem. Maybe a Bluetooth generator!?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove the marker light(s) and check. Run a new wire, possibly partially inside or underneath. Cabinets, interior walls etc can be used.

You might be able to drill into the ceiling area for routing. Do you have AC ceiling ducts inside for routing?

Long flexible drills like 4' etc are available.

Bob

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer

O.K.,…I now know why the rear camera doesn’t work.
Effing rodents!

The question is, how do I splice the wiring? I don’t see how there is any way I can access the other end of the cable?? I thought I might be able to locate it by dropping the bedroom ceiling light fixture closest to the rear. But, the ceiling interior is filled with hard foam insulation.

Any thoughts?

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Bob,
Will do.
Given that the mice ate my generator wiring last winter, nothing would surprise me.
Stay tuned.

Best,
Jack

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes cables can be a issue. My camera is powered from the monitor. See if you can remove the camera and connect it directly to the monitor for testing. Send camera and monitor to RV Cams for testing, my camera was bad.

Bob