Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup camera wire loom question

whit
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

I'm replacing the old backup camera system in my 1995 Bounder. The plug going into the back of the monitor has 4 wires. I'm looking for help identifying them, as I am mounting the new LCD monitor in the same location and want to use them. Obviously red is 12v hot. Blue, I'm guessing is the backup wire? The other two are green (no black). Not sure what they do.
(see picture). Any help would be great!

Mike
10 REPLIES 10

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
I just did mine.Video and power share ground. The other wire on mine was the microphone at the cam in the rear. That shares ground also.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rvcams.com/
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

whit
Explorer
Explorer
I think I will call Tim tomorrow and pick his brain.
Mike

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
I went through a LOT of adaptors when I ordered a Colored monitor and camera,after the company sent me 4 different adaptors witch took 3 weeks back and forth,I sent it all back.THEN I called RV CAM and talked to TIM, he set me up with a new colored monitor and camera that hooked up to my old coax cable,and all i had to do was hook up the red,the black to power and ground then the green to the audio AND NO ADAPTORS.COULD HAVE NOT BEEN ANY EASYER. ps THANKS RV CAM

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
whit wrote:
Interesting. I always heard the old wire is not compatible. Never heard of adapters.

What the OP is showing is the POWER supply to the MONITOR, NOT the video cable from the Monitor to the Rear Camera. THAT cable (monitor to camera) requires adapters(not compatible) or you cut and splice if the original wire has enough wires to do that. In the OP's pic, that GREEN wire is probably NOT connected to anything. As the other poster stated---Red/12 volt pos --- Black/12 volt neg --- BLUE-reverse trigger wire. Doug

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why 2 ground wires. I just accepted their existence and moved on.
Now you got me :h. I'm off to my cold Bounder.
It's Been below freezing at night here in K.C.
I'll be soaking up some of you warm CA sun before long.

OK, after looking and thimking :h, I suspect one of the grounds is for the monitor and the other is internally attached to the coax for the camera.
An ohm meter would confirm or deny my thoughts.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

whit
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. I always heard the old wire is not compatible. Never heard of adapters.
Mike

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I was considering replacement last year, but wondered about the wiring. Contacted vendor by phone, was told that there were adapters available for all the connom connectors and wiring. I didn't do anything else, but was glad to learn that I would not have to replace or pull new cables.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

whit
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Richard! Good to hear from you again!
Why 2 ground wires?
Here is the system I bought today online from Costco.

Mike

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, red is + 12 volts. Both greens are ground. Blue is + 12 volt signal for auto on when in reverse.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson