iradi8
Explorer
Explorer
We bought new house batteries.
12 REPLIES 12

aztortuga
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem. Mine however was the transfer switch cutting in and out while on shore power and connected to a 30 amp breaker. 50 amps seemed to w0rk fine as did generator power. The problem was finally identified as a bad plug on the end of my 30 amp extension cord. I suppose it could just as easily been the plug on the 50 amp main power cord but in my case it wasn't. I think your problem may be the same, or if the power cords are okay then it is the transfer switch. I say transfer switch assuming that your ems unit is not showing any codes to indicate that it switched off and on due to low voltage etc.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will admit the surge supressor cutting off the power due to low voltage was my FIRST thought..Before I read the original post.

KEY PHRASE
The screen doesn't change when this happens. It shows 118v and 119v.

Only thing I can think of is a load shed relay perhaps cutting off the water heater when an A/C fires if they are on 30amps. But that should not be a loud clunk,, More like a soft click.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

iradi8
Explorer
Explorer
Just using a cheap analog meter. I think I got it at an auto parts store a long time ago:)

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
iradi8 wrote:
measured the input voltage on both lines while monitoring for the disconnect and it disconnected several times with no movement on the voltage meter on either input line.

You might have a controller problem BUT......

How are you measuring the input voltage ?
If you are using a digital meter or even an expensive analog meter, it might be "smoothing" over important spikes on the lines.

This is not a theory. I once had a power company "technician" tell me there was nothing wrong with my power......as evidenced by the steady reading on his $500 digital meter.....even thought the lights were flickering AND you could hear the transformer acr'ing out in the back yard.

My $10 Radio Shack meter was jumping all over the place.

iradi8
Explorer
Explorer

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
iradi8 wrote:
They came out and checked it out at the post and it was fine.

Of course they did.
That doesn't necessarily mean that it IS fine.

I find a small analog meter(one with a needle and not a digital readout) to be well worth the $12 or so price tag.

It will show power fluctuations that digital meters will miss because of damping and slow reaction times.

I think you should:
Ask around of other nearby renters to see if anyone has a portable AC meter.
Ask the park to come test the power again......and more thoroughly.

This REALLY sounds like the camp has a BIG fault developing in their AC supply.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking the same as 'luvlabs". When the transfer switch activates it makes a loud clunk. If you're experiencing low or high voltage, your surge protector is shutting down power until the problem resolves itself. Once it does, the surge protector waits a predetermined amount of time and then turns the power back on, causing the transfer switch to clunk. See if you can reach another shore power pole and test.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

iradi8
Explorer
Explorer
We are at the Disney campground.

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
It's your transfer switch that is doing the thumping. If you have a surge suppressor or an EMS like Progressive Industries, it could be cutting off some dirty campground power or low voltages which corrects itself and then powers the transfer switch again. It could also be the transfer switch failing.

Sometimes transfer switch problems are caused by loose wiring. Unplug the power cord and turn off all other sources of A/C power (invertor, generator) and remove the cover of the transfer switch. First step is to tighten all of the electrical connections. Put the cover back on and give it a try. If you still have a problem, take it to a repairman.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:
You might try another cg or even a differant site. You may not be getting clean power and your suppressor may be trying to tell something, but it may not know how.

THIS.
I think your surge suppressor is doing it's job.....or at least trying.
Sounds like VERY dirty power to me.

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
You might try another cg or even a differant site. You may not be getting clean power and your suppressor may be trying to tell something, but it may not know how.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Email the manufacturer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.