cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Boost Won't Work

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Went out to start the MH yesterday and the batteries were low. Hit the boost switch and nothing. I put my jumper cables from the house batteries over to the starter batteries and it cranked right up. I used the boost switch late last summer and it worked fine. I have not had time to check it out. Where would be the best place to start looking for the problem? Is there a fuse?

Batteries are six years old now and they are down after 3 to 4 weeks of sitting even with the disconnect turned off. Probably need batteries in the spring but for now I am leaving the charger/maintainer on it.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".
4 REPLIES 4

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a BigBoy relay in the rear electrical box, check that you can hear it click when someone hits the boost switch. If it clicks then the contacts need to be cleaned/filed as you can take it apart. Unhook both sets of batteries as it's a tight fit getting it out and you do not need to arc weld anything. If it does not click then call Monaco for wiring help.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you have a boost relay, the house batteries must have enough juice in them (crank amps) to switch the relay or to kick on the starter motor.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If the chassis batteries were totally flat they might not be able to energize the boost relay.

The relay may have burned contacts.

Can you hear the relay activating when you press the boost switch?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
It is the relay located in the battery compartment, on the back wall. It is a Trombetta model 010, with copper contacts. Make sure you replace it with the 020 model, which has silver alloy contacts.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today