cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery life of my coach battery in my Class A/

Bonnie123
Explorer
Explorer
I have been having trouble keeping a charge on my RV batteries though I have a battery tender & a Charger. Had the batteries tested & they said they were fine, yet they register no charge in my RV. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

❚ Did you miss the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
    questions. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic.

Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

5 REPLIES 5

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Bonnie123 wrote:
I have been having trouble keeping a charge on my batteries in my Class A though I have a battery tender & a charger. I had the batteries tested & they said they were fine, but they register no charge in my RV. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? Though we have had our RV for quite awhile, we are still newbies!

assuming the gauge is reading correctly you either have a bad charger system, tripped breaker that runs your charger or a blown inline fuse
or in "some cases" the main 12 v disconnect solenoid disallows the charger to charge when its off
put a meter on the charger out lines and see what it reads and go from there

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Probably a switch or fuse if you have no 12v power. Or do you expect 120v power? (need to have an inverter)
One moment of reverse polarity might open a fuse.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
It would be an immense help if you used a voltmeter and then listed the voltages at various times.

1 coach and chassis battery at rest
2 coach and chassis battery with engine running
3 coach and chassis battery when plugged in to power
4 what is the situation.... are you using the rig, is it plugged in, is it in storage?
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Salesman, storage, or what ever you want to call it. The switch with a big red lever. Is it on or off? If its on, then next step is to check voltage from the converter. With the battery disconnected and 120VAC to the coach check the voltage at the battery leads. It should read at least 13.5VDC. If not your converter DC output is dead. Possibly a bad converter or simply a blown fuse.

Bonnie123
Explorer
Explorer
I have been having trouble keeping a charge on my batteries in my Class A though I have a battery tender & a charger. I had the batteries tested & they said they were fine, but they register no charge in my RV. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? Though we have had our RV for quite awhile, we are still newbies!