cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Used Class C's? Rank your top five.

Wildlands1
Explorer
Explorer
Post your opinion of the top five used market Class C's. I'm looking for a well used one, rear bed, about 24' long and considering a Born Free, then a Lazy Daze, then ??? What others? Born Free's, my top choice, are usually way over NADA asking prices. Comments?
30 REPLIES 30

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, Certainly, not everyone thinks the way I do about rvโ€™s. Iโ€™m stuck in a rut, always thinking about cold weather use. The Bigfoot units were not a household name, and not a lot manufactured! So, used ones are difficult to find, and if fairly low mileage and in good shape.....pretty pricey! Theyโ€™re pretty solid units....but not for everyone. When attempting to answer the OPโ€™s question, I probably should have tried to evaluate my suggestions for the average rvโ€™er....rather than an eccentric, such as myself! ๐Ÿ™‚
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
......Iโ€™m moving Bigfoot to the #1 slot....โ€uncontestedโ€! If for no other reason, the fresh water capacity is near double many other class cโ€™s. Our 26 foot Bigfoot has 64 gallons fresh, 40 grey, and 40 black.

Last winter, we โ€œde-winterizedโ€ our unit, filled the fresh tank while ambient temperatures were in single digit F temperatures ....left home and went camping. The previous owner had used the unit down to Minus 17 F, with no freeze-ups! Returned home, flushed the tanks and โ€œwinterizedโ€, waiting for the next outing! Thatโ€™s a unit that is โ€œwinter capableโ€! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Big Foot is surely a top notch rig. I am just not certain a ten year or older Big Foot will fall within the price range the OP had implied. To be honest, I don't know the used market for Big Foots, nor know how many years they were made. Maybe a used one can be found in the under $30k range. If so, then they should be included in his list for certain.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, Had the OP asked about โ€œnewโ€ class cโ€™s, I could not have mentioned the Triple E , as the Regency GT ( ClimateGuard Pkd) ceased production in 2013, or the Bigfoot which ceased production in 2008 or 2009! Both of these units had enclosed tanks, sewer lines/valves, with forced air heat. As long as the unit heater was kept on, the tanks, dump lines, and valves are kept warm! The Coach House does have tanks with โ€œheat padsโ€, but as best I can remember from my phone conversation the sewer lines and valves are exposed.....rendering them useless in cold weather.

In fact, after doing some research, Iโ€™m moving Bigfoot to the #1 slot....โ€uncontestedโ€! If for no other reason, the fresh water capacity is near double many other class cโ€™s. Our 26 foot Bigfoot has 64 gallons fresh, 40 grey, and 40 black. The Triple Eโ€™s have a much smaller fresh tank! ๐Ÿ™‚

Last winter, we โ€œde-winterizedโ€ our unit, filled the fresh tank while ambient temperatures were in single digit F temperatures ....left home and went camping. The previous owner had used the unit down to Minus 17 F, with no freeze-ups! Returned home, flushed the tanks and โ€œwinterizedโ€, waiting for the next outing! Thatโ€™s a unit that is โ€œwinter capableโ€! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
pnichols (Phil), As the tanks, and sewer lines and valves are not inclosed within the heated area (forced air) of the unit....I donโ€™t consider it winter (cold ) weather capable. Or maybe, Iโ€™m still misreading the construction specs! Of course, everyone has their own definition of โ€œwinterโ€! For me โ€œwinterโ€ starts at zero F, and goes down from there! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Other than maybe Earth Roamer and a rare other, "Winter Ready" rigs focus on the fresh water system protected inside & kept warm by the furnace. Waste water freeze protection is limited to insulated and heated waste tanks. Some people after purchase, add 12V heat tape around the exterior waste plumbing and waste valves. If ordering a new rig from a company like Phoenix USA, they may offer heat tape or something better.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Anything with an aluminum frame construction = no wood rot.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols (Phil), As the tanks, and sewer lines and valves are not inclosed within the heated area (forced air) of the unit....I donโ€™t consider it winter (cold ) weather capable. Or maybe, Iโ€™m still misreading the construction specs! Of course, everyone has their own definition of โ€œwinterโ€! For me โ€œwinterโ€ starts at zero F, and goes down from there! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Technically, a class "B+" (which is a marketing term rather than an official RVIA classification) is a class C, one generally on the smaller side and generally without a cabover bunk. I guess "B+" is deemed as sounding better than "C-".

A class A motorhome is built on a bare chassis or a custom motorhome/motor coach chassis. The bodywork comes from the motorhome manufacturer.

A class B motorhome is built inside a cargo van, with the cargo van walls (but often a raised roof). The bodywork comes from the chassis maker.

A class C motorhome is built on a cutaway chassis or a cab-and-chassis. The cab body work comes from the chassis maker, the house bodywork from the motorhome maker. Having a cabover bunk is common in class C motorhomes, but by no means a requirement.

DrewE's pedantic but gentle rant for the day is now over. You may return to your regularly scheduled discussions.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:
pnichols wrote:
memtb wrote:
Triple E, Bigfoot, Phoenix Cruiser, Coach House, Winnebago, In that order, the first two are a toss-up!

Todd ... shouldn't your list order maybe be - Coach House, Triple E, Bigfoot, Phoenix Cruiser, Winnebago?

By the way, I think that the OP asked about Class C motorhomes ... and that implies a full size cab overhead. (Some on the list might be Class B+ motorhomes due to a smaller size stream-lined overhead area.)

Your probably more accurate than I. I did โ€œlumpโ€ the B+ in with the Cโ€™s.....should have verified prior to posting! :o. The reason I didnโ€™t list the Coach House higher.....Iโ€™m โ€œhung-upโ€ on wintering capabilities. Unless my limited research is incorrect, they have exposed plumbing. If โ€œwintering capabilitiesโ€ is off the table.....Coach House moves to #1!

Here's some info from the Coach House website on how they're designed and built to deal with cold weather - FWIW, what they describe is about how our Itasca Class C with it's Winter Package handles cold weather:
http://www.coachhouserv.com/info-faq.php#7
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
memtb wrote:
Triple E, Bigfoot, Phoenix Cruiser, Coach House, Winnebago, In that order, the first two are a toss-up!

Todd ... shouldn't your list order maybe be - Coach House, Triple E, Bigfoot, Phoenix Cruiser, Winnebago?

By the way, I think that the OP asked about Class C motorhomes ... and that implies a full size cab overhead. (Some on the list might be Class B+ motorhomes due to a smaller size stream-lined overhead area.)

Your probably more accurate than I. I did โ€œlumpโ€ the B+ in with the Cโ€™s.....should have verified prior to posting! :o. The reason I didnโ€™t list the Coach House higher.....Iโ€™m โ€œhung-upโ€ on wintering capabilities. Unless my limited research is incorrect, they have exposed plumbing. If โ€œwintering capabilitiesโ€ is off the table.....Coach House moves to #1!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Tom-Wildlands1

My reply is based on these assumptions.....

- 24 foot max length
- main floor double bed B+ types
- primarily for a married couple (and an occasional guest)
- 10 year minimum age, 26 year maximum age
- pricing from $8,000 to $25,000-$30,000

- 1993 to 1995 Telstar (E-Series) very affordable
- 1998 to 2005 Starflyte (E-Series & Chevy) very affordable
- 2004 to 2009 Phoenix Cruiser (E-Series)
- 1999 to 2009 Dynamax Isata Sport (E-Series & Chevy) old ones very affordable
- 2001 to 2009 Coach House (E-Series)
- 1993 to 2006 Chinook (E-Series and Chevy) old ones very affordable
- 1993 to 2009 Born Free

If getting the most popular E-series (E350 & E450) the Triton V10 engine is an excellent engine, introduced in 1998, replacing the previous V8 engine which had issues with exhaust manifolds, lower fuel efficiency, and also less power. The Triton V8 is just as great in the short 20-21 foot lengths. So I consider 1998 the ideal starting point. There are other technical thresholds. For example, the Torqshift transmission introduced around 2005 is better than previous years, a 2008 has numerous chassis upgrades over previous years. A 2009 has a refreshed dash board with glove box and nicer features better ergonomically placed over previous years.

Basically, the newer the better. Ford kept making the E-series better. NOT one year did anything get worse. But keep in-mind that even a 1998 was a good year. It just might not be as shift-friendly when climbing, will use a little more fuel, and brake a little less efficiently as one made today in 2019.

Also keep in-mind that starting in 2008, the E350 and E450 handle heavier loads which only makes the ride more harsh in the shorter & lighter motor homes. If you buy a 2008 or newer and find the ride too harsh for your lighter load (most often up front) you can replace the front coil springs to the next lower rated Ford spring to better match your worst case load for a smoother ride.

Our 2007 E350 (at 23'-8" long & 158" wheel base) has a light load up front. I had looked into this after a wheel alignment was done. So our load did not warrant any such action. If I had a 2008 E350 chassis, I would change the front coil springs to one rating less which is what our 2007 E350 has or one rating lower yet. If I had an E450, I would have even more to consider.

If you study our rig in my signature, you can visually see the front end standing a bit taller than it should be. When our rig was brand new, the front tires skewed inward at the bottom....kind-of like what happens when you jack up the front end. A lower rated spring (one rating less) would bring it down to the right level, setting the tires more properly. My alignment shop compensated through the use of offset suspension bushings for a proper wheel alignment. I feel that was addressing the symptom rather than the cause. It all works right though I feel there was a better way to handle it with a better over-all outcome.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Add Coach House units to those mentioned above, usually a little higher priced but they hold their value well and are made to last.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, condition trumps brand. A lower-end brand in great shape would be a better deal than a top brand in poor shape.

That said, the four mentioned are probably the top ones in general. Winnebago has a bit better than average reputation in my estimation for the bigger, more mainstream companines, but not on a par with Lazy Daze et al.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
had a born free 24ft was a great unit well built, they hold there valve because there one of the best and don,t have to worry about roof leaks.