cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black tank odor

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
So I bought a new to me Minnie Winnie DL 29WU yesterday (it's an upgrade from our slide in Lance)and the drive home was horrible. The previous owner apparently didn't use any chemicals to help with odor and seems like every slosh of the tank (yes the gray and black tanks still are over half full :M)filled the whole thing with terrible smells.

I plan to dump the tanks today but is this a problem typical to motorhomes? I never noticed any odors in the truck camper.

Sorry if it's a noob question but the Lance is my only RV experience.

Also, when I filled it with fuel the next few miles the whole interior reeked of gasoline and I couldn't find any visible leaks. I don't know if there's a valve or something I was supposed to shut of on the genset or something. Any ideas where to begin diagnosing that issue?
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU
30 REPLIES 30

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The smell may not be coming from your Black tank,it may be the gray tank.

I would check and replace the air admittance valves
located near your sinks,they are cheap and can be found at most big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes as well as smaller hardware stores.

If they fail they will let the smell from the grey tanks in and believe me they can smell just as bad as the black tank if not worse.

Changed mine out and the smell was gone!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C