cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blown Engine, 8.1l

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leaving Townsend GA yesterday for Covington GA and a Ham Fest I did not make it.. Just north of Reidsville there was a BANG, and a lot of smoke, and the engine died as I coasted to the shoulder.

Upon hooking up we found a big hole in the oil pan.. Im thinking (Due to other things) engine likely blown but a lower overhaul at minimum.

I am now in a tow lot in METTER, GA

Anyone know of a repair shop near here that can do the job

2005 Damon Intruder 377W. Workhorse chassis, Front engine, 8.1L Vortec, gas, the local Chevy Dealer has not a bay big enough.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times
208 REPLIES 208

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm,

Wow, I followed you for years before you broke down and wondered whether you would ever get back on the road. So glad for you that your patience has paid off and you are ready to roll again. We all change with the passage of time and the passage of experiences. I look forward to reading about your travels. Of course I have followed your comments on this forum as well. It seems that Facebook and RVillage have drawn me away from RV.net. Facebook is a waste and RVillage is just starting to get near a sustainable group.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Ham_Radio_HF_Mo
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning, John, WA8YXM;

Trust me, sir, I do understand.

In the Summer of 2015, the venerable Chevrolet 454 cid "LE8" gasoline engine in the equally venerable Winnebago Elandan WCP31RT announced, in a most impolite way, that it did not like driving for hours through the 108 F. weather in Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington that day at the end of June. It quit.

It turned out that the major cause of the overheating in my engine was the gap between the air conditioner condenser and the front of the engine cooling radiator where the draw of air through the radiator core from the engine cooling fan behind the radiator had pulled up a lot of straw, wheat chaff, leaves, seeds, some feathers, bits of paper, and other stuff that had covered the front of the engine radiator core. That poor thing could not breathe.

This unfortunate situation could not be seen until the air conditioner condenser had been unbolted and pulled forward and down to reveal the covered front of the radiator core.

Some additional sheet metal paneling has been installed to prevent picking up stuff that will go up onto the radiator core. Also, the automatic transmission fluid that went to the "cool" side of the radiator has been re-routed to its own separate radiator for cooling. It no longer adds to the engine radiator cooling load.

A Jasper rebuilt engine was installed in the Winnebago. So far, it has worked quite well. The Jasper engine does come with a six (6) month warranty, but that is all. The Jasper Extended Warranty Plan is not available for engines that are put into motor homes. I guess that means that we really do need to take care of our engines. You know, engine oil changes, air filters, fuel filters, checking things, and all that other stuff you need to do to keep an engine going.

John, sometime it might be nice to talk with you about radios in motor homes; how to power them, how to get coaxial cables to the outside of a motor home, how to mount antennas, and identifying all the things in a motor home that can talk to our radios. I was surprised at the replacement LED lights that talked to my radios. The Anritsu MS-2711B portable spectrum analyzer did help in locating a lot of those offenders. And I was really surprised when I learned that the older "RV 12 VDC power converter" actually puts out a full wave rectified pulsating sine wave where the "average" voltage is 13.6 VDC. There is a reason why the instructions for the B-W 6345 "RV 12 VDC power converter" say to "use a true RMS reading voltmeter" for checking the output voltage. The output was not a simple straight level DC voltage that I expected to see, much like what we would see from a battery. Now it has been replaced with a Progressive Dynamics PD-9655 power supply with filtering and voltage regulation, and the batteries are much happier with the 4 stage charging algorithm. The radios are much happier also (no more "AC hum"). And the new LED lights are lasting for months or longer now, instead of just weeks.

Enjoy, and 73, John;

Ralph, N7KGA
Lattรฉ Land, Washington
and a venerable Winnebago Elandan WCP31RT
Ham Radio HF Mobile

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! Approximately 3 years. You are a very patient man John. Much more so than I for sure. Glad to hear that you are rolling once again.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
well very good, carry on. safe journeys to you, and look out for pot holes
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
hanko wrote:
when did you get it running? I was kinda hoping you would fill us in on the rest of the story. Glad you running. Are you still in Georgia

Got it "Running" about 1.5-2 weeks ago. Got it Drivable week ago last Friday.. Took it off the "Blocks" and put it back on the ground (Drove it off the wood-pile)

Drove it for the first time 1 week ago last Saturday (To gas station for 50 Gallons of Generator lotion) and back.. Waiting on Check from Insurance (Due tomorrow) and some long put-off body work, Likely on the road again either this friday or next.. Would like to be this.

Want to be in Ohio mid May.

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see you got it moving again and great that the insurance is covering it. Just think of all the gas money you saved.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
when did you get it running? I was kinda hoping you would fill us in on the rest of the story. Glad you running. Are you still in Georgia
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

MrWizard
so your Mobile again, after nearly 3 yrs

Great News
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, this puppy blew in 2014 (End of July)

Picking the mechinic was a bit easier.. With one exception they all had excuses.. There is only one shop that has a hoist big enough near me and another 60 miles distant,, that one said "We won't install a used engine" the one near me said "We have no way to lower/raise the engine" and of course echoed the other shop as well

THe shop I'm parked at we bult our own riser out of lumber (Worked very well) used a common engine hoist to do the heavy lifting and of course there were only TWO problems.. Just two:

First: when we fired it up (First start was a bit hard but.. HEY, not unexpected) there was a "Clang" turns out a bolt needed to be re-seated (Torque converter) Got that fixed and by the 3rd start vlave clatter gone.

Second.. When we got it ALL assembled. after several first rate normal starts,, NO joy.. Computer told us what was wrong (Bad connection on a sensor) we unplugged and replugged (no wrences needed) and I'm not sure the starter fully engaged before the engine was running (ok, I am sure it did but you get the point). It was the one sensor that we used off the replacement engine.. Instead of re-using the original 2005 sensor.. ODDS are either would work but they are electrically identical, functionally identical, physically a slight difference.

I posted a BIG THANK YOU to whomever suggested I contact my insurance.
Problem WAS caused by a road defect (Pot hole) and insurance is paying for it.

Oh, Engine runs so well (After a fairly long storage period) Mechanic deciced he wanted a new pick up to pull his new 2-car car hauling trailer.. Same engine and transmission Vortec 8.1 with an Allison 5 speed. He figures if it hauls this house up and down mountains it will haul 2 cars and trailer on GA flatlands.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Didn't read all the replies first so my reply was inappropriate.
Edited out that reply.
Congradulations on getting it repaired.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Wa8yxm, congrats on the getting the engine replacement and that the insurance covered it!!!

That was a long wait.

Safe travels!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
John's new engine is installed and running according to his posts on another forum. He thanked everyone here for suggesting he submit the bill to his insurance company over on ATC earlier today.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Did this blow up three years ago and hasn't moved sence?
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU